SIX

Chapter 6

There are a number of ways a person can enter a scene. Adam's entrance had to be the most unique. He was wearing a dirty, floral apron, a shower cap and his sleeves were folded to his elbows. Soap suds still showed on his arms.

"Missed me?" Adam smirked.

Doris smiled in spite of the pain, "Nah! Didn't even realise you were gone." Okay, plain lie. She was really happy Adam was alive (heart-intact) and his current appearance would serve as future blackmail. Perfect! Oh that was if they survived this, fulfilled the other deals and stayed alive.

The clash of metal against metal urged Doris to clutch the glass shoes tightly and run towards the exit. Her hand was still paining from the glass case's impact but the pain was subsiding slowly. Besides, there is something very encouraging (to run) about bare swords facing you!

Doris watched Adam pick up a sword and block a guard's sword. She knew the guards were experienced at sword-fighting. Adam wouldn't survive a second in their midst.

Adam lunged and blocked and lunged and blocked. Some quick wrist movements and the guard's sword flew from his arm to Adam's hand with a twang.

Doris stared, mouth agape.

"Go! I'll cover you," shouted Adam, now wrestling with more guards.

"But-" Doris began.

Gemima flew past her, grabbing Doris' wrist. The last Doris saw of Adam was him being surrounded by three guards, efficiently fighting all three. That guy was one big surprise package!

Doris had to run fast to keep up with the low-flying Gemima who still held on to Doris' bad wrist.

"I-I...I can't keep...up. Slow down!" Doris managed between ragged breaths.

Gemima wordlessly, hauled Doris over her shoulder and flew. No pleadings from Doris on the subject of Adam would stop Gemima.

Doris tried to look for Adam but her vertigo made her dizzy. Ice formed on her back and she shivered. Her power was awful. One slip and it would go out of control. She tried to calm herself. Slowly the ice vanished.

Gemima landed abruptly on the ground next to the sign of 'Pinkie Peskerton's Fariy Town'. "Safe for now," she muttered.

"Gemima, why wouldn't you stop?" Doris shouted. "Adam is still there. He's in danger. We have to go back to get him."

"Now, young lady," Gemima said, suddenly looking much older and fiercer, "you are going to stay here and wait while I can form a plan."

The sound of hooves made both of them look for somewhere to hide. Too late!

A horse burst through the trees and, believe it or not, Adam was riding it with a sword in his hand. Behind him was a small group of free humans that quickly overtook them. None of them stopped and thanked their horse-rider saviour. Even they knew that they would be missed and chased and nothing was going to stop their run. 

The horse stopped beside Doris and Adam jumped to the ground nimbly, "And that is a good entrance!"

He was still wearing the floral apron and shower cap. He still looked ridiculous and he still wore that proud smile but Doris didn't say her usual sarcastic remarks. She walked forward and hugged him with a simple, "You scared the hell out of us!"

Adam waited for a second finding it hard to believe that if-you-get-closer-i-will-kill-you-Doris was actually hugging him. He smiled a confused, wary smile and then slowly hugged her back.