SIXTEEN

Chapter 16

Shika easily led them to the main gate while Doris filled in Adam on Shika's mind-reading powers, avoiding the history of his powers.

Shika didn't have a magic map or faerie compass, he just knew the way. When they reached the gate, Gemima and Adam pushed it open. Madeleine and Pierre walked out of the no-teleport zone and teleported to somewhere in the universe.

"Look at them," Gemima said. "They didn't even say goodbye."

Adam smiled, "They already got into a lot of trouble, all thanks to us. You can't blame them for wanting to get away at the first opportunity."

Gemima stepped through the doorway and beckoned to the two to follow.

Doris and Adam looked at each other. They had no idea how Shika could be helped to leave.

Doris spoke up, "Shika..."

Shika smiled his sad smile, "I don't know why Father bound me here. He used to say it wasn't safe for me outside but I think it was more because the outside wasn't safe with me."

Doris wanted to say something to tell him he was wrong but how could she persuade him when she couldn't persuade herself? These were her very thoughts.

When no one spoke, Adam sighed, "What is wrong with you faerie folk? Why are you always so depressing and negative, thinking the worst-case scenario?"

Both Doris and Shika glared at him, clearly not liking his little lecture, but Adam wasn't done yet, "I know nothing can be attained of locking up children forever but you have to think of what your parents' thought. They didn't hate or fear you. They just wanted to protect you. Tell me, Shika, what do you think would happen if people got to know about your powers? Faeries and humans, they both have good and bad people. I know it wasn't the right way to protect you two but you have to understand that there's nothing wrong with you. Just because you have powers doesn't mean you are any different from other people. You should be proud of who you are instead of hating yourself."

When he stopped, Adam looked around for any ice stakes that might come hurtling through the air. None came. The two faeries where watching him with awestruck expressions.

"You two should get going," Shika finally said. "You have a deal to fulfil."

"We are not going to leave you," Doris said, defiantly.

"Just leave," Shika said.

"I don't like you much," Adam said, "but I agree with Doris that we are not leaving you behind."

Shika smiled and for the first time, it was a smile that reached his eyes. "I don't intend to be here for long. I will try to get out of here on my own. You go ahead and do what you are supposed to do." He pushed them through the doorway and closed the gate quickly.

Doris shouted, "Hey, Shika! Hey!"

Shika walked back to his house, through the silent grass and unmoving shadows but today he wasn't lonely. Today, he knew that he had a purpose to his life. The purpose of getting out of this place. He wouldn't be able to explain the sudden change ever. Maybe it was when he saw Doris' memories or when Doris said she would help him escape or when Adam said that his father had actually cared for him...All Shika knew now was that he wasn't that different. There were people like him out there with problems as big as his own and they dealt with them.

Outside Gemima decided it was time to stop shouting for Shika and move on, "You two do remember that your families need you right now and time is running out?"