SEVENTEEN

Chapter 17

Decreasing light, suffocating dark and then clearing vision-this was what Doris felt when Madeleine teleported them to Hanau, Germany.

After a few gulps of air, Doris looked around to find herself beside a long, long road. "Where are we?" she asked not really liking the fact that there was no one to be seen for what looked like miles.

Gemima smiled, "We are at the start of the Fairytale Route."

"There is such a thing?" Adam wondered aloud.

"Indeed there is," Gemima looked very happy. "It's not like that horrible town of Cinderella. No, this place, its open to everyone, even humans."

Doris said, "Why is it called the fairytale route?"

"Because along the route, at different points of time, fairytales took place. Not many people believe that now but this is where magic is the strongest. This is where those two pesky humans- Jacob and Wilhelm, found out about the magic and wrote it out warning for humans. Pity, humans never listen," Gemima could have gone on talking. Her face shone as she talked about the place. She really loved it.

"If you're done fangirling about this place," Madeleine started, "I need my money."

Gemima looked at Madeleine's demanding hand and grunted, "Of course, you weren't working for free."

"No way am I working for free," Madeleine chuckled. "Now, my money?"

Gemima was so happy that she didn't even try to fight. Taking out her purse, she handed the exact money to Madeleine who vanished as soon as the money landed in her palm.

They started to walk along the road. It was a long walk and Gemima went on talking about the place. Adam and Doris, still not speaking to each other, passed each other weary looks. Gemima looked fully charged up while they felt like dropping to the ground any minute.

"You three want a ride?"

A car had stopped beside them. It was one of those tiny, pink-painted cars that are hardly seen nowadays. A greying head peeked out, "I can give you a ride till the Schwalm region!"

Doris and Adam looked towards Gemima for permission and seeing their tired faces, Gemima agreed easily.

The driver of the car was a talkative, middle-aged woman called Laura Wichens. She quickly told them about her life. She was a widow. Her dead husband was surely in hell. He never loved her. Her family had drove her away long ago because they didn't like her style of living. Turns out, she had been quite a violent rebel in her days.

Doris couldn't help smiling at her talk. Violent rebel? Must have refused to wear a bonnet, most probably.

Mrs. Wichens continued to talk. After her family cut her off, she wandered around the world learning the ways and finally got a job in the justice sector. Right now, she was combining work with pleasure. There was a legal matter that she had to take care of up ahead and she had decided to come early so that she could enjoy a place where her childhood dreams seemed a reality.

The children were happy to see a normal human after so long. Gemima drifted off to sleep despite having been super-happy and super-excited. Adam was close to dozing off too but Doris sat beside Mrs. Wichens and listened to her rattle.

"You look tired, dear," Mrs. Wichens said. "A young girl of your age needs to be energetic. How will you be as active as me when you are my age if you don't eat well today. Now, don't  try to lie. When did you last eat a balanced meal?"