EIGHTEEN

Chapter 18

Gemima got Doris out of the car. She didn't like closed spaces. The forest with it shadows seemed more comforting.

She laid Doris carefully on a grass patch beside a tree and placed her hand above Doris' chest. Tiny tendrils of green light spread of Doris' body and Gemima focussed on concentrating the poison beneath her hand. It was tough, slow work but slowly, slowly the green light amassed at one place.

Doris' eyes opened and she had to blink a few times to bring the scene into focus. They were in a forest. Aunt Gemima was there. And then the vision blurred again. When she spoke her voice was low and she had to strain to hear herself, "A-aunt Gemima?"

For once Gemima didn't mind being called an aunt. She felt old and useless. She couldn't save him and now her only niece was going to die because she forced her into signing a deal at the age of six.

"A-Aunt Gemima, please," Doris shivered, "what happened?"

Doris stared at the dark trees that shifted in and out of focus while listening to Gemima.

"So, I am going to die," Doris stated simply.

"No, no, Doris," Gemima tried but Doris waved a hand, "Please don't lie. I can feel myself grow weaker."

Gemima sat down beside her, resting Doris' head on her shoulder, "I'm so sorry. Its all my fault."

"No, you've been so kind and helpful. We would have never come this far without you," Doris said in a low voice.

Gemima shook her head, "You would have never come this far without my selfishness."

A slight frown graced Doris' pale face and blue veins stood up for a second, "What are you talking about?"

Gemima didn't look at Doris but began, "Arabella was always better. She was an excellent faerie, always quick to master new powers. Everybody loved her. Everybody except me. I was jealous. Jealous of how she could laugh and talk, endear people and get what she wanted so easily. She was always good to me and that made me dislike her even more. She was too sweet and too good. All the boys loved her. Nobody gave me a second look, not even my parents. And then he came. Brandon Flamestone. He was the most handsome man I had ever seen and so intelligent. When he spoke even Arabella stayed quiet to listen. Everybody thought he would marry Arabella. Even I did and I hated Arabella for that. He was someone that I liked and nobody would even give me a chance."

Doris shook slightly as red and green spots showed up in front of her eyes.

"We were introduced at a ball, back in those days. Imagine the surprise, no, the shock that went through the crowd when he asked me to dance with him. We became close soon. We talked and met at various places. For the first time, people talked about me. My parents suddenly loved me more than Arabella. Arabella was the same-happy, kind and good. It irritated me, her indifference. We fought a lot and finally I ran away. Brandon found me and arranged for a place for to stay. He must have told my parents because they found me soon enough. For some time there was peace. Years passed and Arabella and I were on cordial terms again. Everything was fine. I didn't hate her anymore. I didn't have time for hating. Brandon and I were on a world tour. I heard of this place and I wanted to see it. I wanted to find proof of the cursed castle."

"Cursed castle?" Doris asked.

"It was part of the story of The Beauty and the Beast. I loved fairytales. Not in the silly way some kids do nowadays. No, I loved them as pieces of history that intrigued me. They were stories of blood, murder and magic. Brandon brought me here for my birthday. We found the place alright. The castle was beautiful but its beauty was fearsome. We knew we shouldn't have been there but I wanted to explore and Brandon wanted to help me explore."