Jack (B.H)

October 2nd, 1952. 12:03 pm. Lubbock High School

Vi sits next to me. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head. "Somethin's wrong and I dunno what"

"Yeah, I understand. Really."

"I'm sorry," I mumble.

"Why?"

"I'm gonna make you sadder than you already are."

"No, no not at all. Trust me, it's okay. You know what makes me feel better?"

"Huh?"

"Sitting in the dark, eating snacks, and listening to records"

"Does it really?"

"Yeah. And you. You make me feel better."

"Do I?" I perk up slightly.

"Yeah, you're the most important person in my life." She smiles. "You're my best friend."

"Aw," I feel myself blush.

"Here, do you want to ditch the rest of the day and sit in the dark and eat snacks and listen to music?"

I nod. "Yeah. Yeah, actually that'd be real nice."

She grabs my hand and stands up. "Is my house okay?"

I nod.

We meander out of the cafeteria, into the vacant band room, and out the side door,and looping around to the parking lot.

We hop into my car and start the long ride to Vi's.

We pull up and Vi unlocks the front door. We walk in, and she leads me to the kitchen.

"What do you want for your sad snack? I like popcorn, ice cream, or an unhealthy amount of pretzels. To drink? Soda. So much soda."

I manage a weak smile. "Anythin' is okay."

"Neat, I have popcorn and ice cream! She says, looking in the cupboard.

She looks so pretty today.

"Okay, I like being in the comfiest clothes ever made, too." She grabs a jiffypop and turns on the stove. "Like a huge nightgown or...nevermimd."

"What?"

"I was gonna say naked, but that's weird."

I actually laugh for the first time today. "Oh my lord, Violet."

"Hey, when you're already low, you don't need clothes weighing you down," she laughs. "ANYWAYS, how much are these little episodes happening?"

"Like, me bein' sad for no reason?"

"Yeah, but it's not for no reason."

"Well," I look at the ground. "Uh, since this summer. I dunno what happened. It's like...I broke up with Echo and 'course I was sad 'bout that. But it's like I haven't really...stopped bein' sad. I'm not sad over her anymore, but it's like... I'm just sad?"

Vi nods understandingly. She grabs the snacks and we head up stairs.

We get into her room and she sets everything down on her desk. I just sit on her bed, hoping she's right and I will feel better.

She puts a record on and sits next to me. "I think you're depressed."

"Me too," I mumble.