Giving up

(M/N)'s pov: 

Walking through the wide hallways, I hear the carefree chatting of a bunch of first years. I could almost picture myself in their shoes only one year ago. Happy, excited and completely oblivious to the horrors and dangers of the hero course. Wishing to actually be in their shoes, I walked away to avoid staring at them like a creep. 

Stupidly, I'm already starting to miss my class, although I talked to them only minutes ago.  Reaching my destination, I take a deep breath. Why am I doubting myself? This is what I should do. 

Clearing my head, I raised a shaky hand to knock on the door. Regret washed over me the moment I heard the man in the room say, "Come on in."

"Principal Nezu." I say politely, bowing down. "Ah, Uraraka-san. What seems to be the matter." giving me a soft and, seemingly, understanding smile. Relaxing under his kind gaze, I gather up the smallest bit of confidence I gained during my hero course. 

"I would like to drop out..." I pause, "sir." 

"Oh? And why is that, Uraraka-san?" Nezu questioned, clearly surprised. 

"I'm sorry sir, but my reasoning may sound somewhat invalid. As you know my family owns a construction business, and a few weeks ago they received their first ever request in the past 4 years. Unfortunately, my father has injured himself during the process of working on this project. Now, we have lost a major leader and the project has been a mess. I wish to drop out of school to help my parents in completing the project, my parent's future deeply depends on this. This is why, " I paused, bowing deeply, "Let me drop out to aid my parents in this vital project." Shutting my eyes close tightly, I pray for the principal to understand where I was coming from.

"Uraraka-san, I-" I cut him off rudely, already expecting a negative response. "Please, sir. I'm sorry to disappoint you, wasting Aizawa-sensei and other teacher's hard work, but my parents need me to help them in this situation, though they won't admit it." I lamely added to my argument.

Principal Nezu chuckled, "Uraraka-san, don't worry. I understand your problems and you urge to assist your family in this dire circumstance. But, I am not quite pleased with your request of dropping out of school. Instead, I'm offering you a chance to take a permitted leave from school. You are an outstanding student Uraraka-san, teachers and students alike admire you for you diligence and willingness to improve. One's willingness to sacrifice is a great aspect to becoming a hero, and this discussion has proven that you are indeed worthy to be a hero. I would deeply regret letting you go, and I can tell so would you. But I understand, so..." He turns on his computer and proceeds to print out a slip of paper, "Here js the permission slip for about 2 months or so, depending on how long it takes for you to complete this commission."

Hearing the sound of his pen scratching on the smooth surface of the slip, I beamed with joy, almost wanting to cry. "Thank you so much, Principal Nezu!" I cry out, overjoyed, once again bowing deeply.

-

Walking through the wide hallways, I hear the carefree chatting of the same bunch of first years. This time, I could picture myself in their shoes only one year ago. Happy, excited and completely oblivious to the horrors and dangers of the hero course. Wishing to actually be in their shoes, I walked away to avoid staring at them like a creep. 

History was repeating itself, I was walking up to the same door, missing my class I talked to minutes ago. 

The familiar situation taunted me, like this was an inevitable ending that I have to face no matter what. Which, in all honestly, was true.

No matter what, I'll be dropping out if the hero course. No matter what, I will be leaving my dreams and aspirations behind. No matter what, I'll give up my hero path. Because...

I'm just not meant to do this.

Hi. Yeah, you left UA lmao. So one more chapter till (M/N) starts interacting with 1A (at the sports festival :D) So I hope you enjoyed this relatively shorter chapter, thanks for reading.