twenty seven.

"There were hints and intimations
of the shape of things to come."
— Dexter Palmer

Taehyung POV

I knew it. I just knew it. The inevitability of a downfall that would hurt more than just myself. It was a daring and reckless need to keep things from turning out the way that they are bound to become, a need to swim out to the far depths of a lie that would only end with me drowning and pulling him down with me.

Knowing all this, I pushed it aside once again, just to continue walking up the stairs and opening his apartment door.

"Where did you go?" Jungkook asked once I stepped inside. His eyes were still swollen with sleep and the blanket sat in a crumbled mess at his hips.

I set the bag on his kitchen counter and started to pull things out, "To get breakfast, I didn't want to wake you up yet."

He just nodded slowly with his eyes already closing again, "Okay." he mumbled.

The sight was nothing less than adorable, something I only wanted to see more often every morning. I chuckled softly and grabbed the to-go utensils and bag before walking over to the couch. "Baby, scoot." I asked quietly.

Jungkook nodded and pushed himself over on the couch, making room for me by hugging a pillow and rubbing his eyes after.

I pulled out his share of sausage, rice, and eggs in a styrofoam bowl, "That smells good." he said, eyes finally open and blinking brightly. I handed it to him with a smile and he mumbled a thanks before taking small bites.

I took my own and started eating while Jungkook paused to put on some cartoon he always watches. The one on now was from last night when he fell asleep half way trough.

"We should do something together later." Jungkook said, leaning forward to place the styrofoam dish on the coffee table. The notepad had been put away.

Instead of jumping at the opportunity to spend time with him, I felt the heavy weight of my phone and those texts in my pocket. "I can't tonight, I'm busy again."

Jungkooks face fell slightly and his bottom lip was in a small pout, "Do you have to go?"

I set the whole bag down on the coffee table and grabbed his wrist gently to pull him over onto my lap. Of course he was quick to move, there wasn't much hesitation and my arms hugged his waist soon after. "You know I'd rather spend time with you." I whispered softly against his cheek, leaning a kiss there.

Jungkook nodded, "You better."

I chuckled softly and patted his thigh, "After today I'm all yours and we can do whatever you want."

He seemed to like the sound of that and nodded, getting off my lap to pick up the empty bag and throw it out.

"I'm going to head out then." I said. It was said very unwillingly but Jungkook grabbed my coat and handed it to my with a smile, "I'll talk to you later then."

I nodded and watched him open the door, "Now get out." Jungkook grinned.

Before I left I took his wrist again, bringing him closer and feeling my stomach flip as he never looked away from my eyes and that little smile of his never faltered. "Aren't you forgetting something?" I asked, the amusement clear in my voice as I trailed my fingertips along his sides.

Jungkook hummed a little and titled his head up just enough to press those lips against mine in a soft kiss. My grip tightened just a bit around his wait but he pulled away too soon. "You get more later." he whispered against my mouth, each syllable allowing our lips to brush against each other so slightly.

"I look forward to it." I stepped back before finally leaving, the door shutting quietly without the sound of the lock and only my steps down the hallway.

It was a relatively quiet trip home as well, all except for the constant vibration of my phone being invaded with texts. There was almost a moment where I wanted to throw it out the car window and into traffic. Except Jimin had texted me his address and I needed that in order to not get lost.

With a quick glance over my shoulder, I checked to see if my bag was in the backseat and my suit was hung up to avoid any wrinkles. Tonight was it, just get through tonight and then there's nothing to worry about.

"Hey Jimin." I spoke into my phone after the blonde picked up. "I'll be there in an hour or so, I was going to pick us up some food because the caterers at the wedding suck so we should eat before."

"Okay, sounds good. I'm home so come over whenever." his voice was muffled through the speaker and it sounded like he was already eating some sort of snack as usual.

We hung up after he told me what he wanted and directed me to various fast food restaurants and lastly to his house. By the time I got there my entire car smelt like a gross mix of hamburger grease and my cologne.

"See, this is a nice welcoming." Jimin grinned when he opened his apartment door. Instead of properly greeting me, he took the food and left.

"Nice to see you too Jimin." I shut the door and kicked my shoes off, carrying my suit and bag in without any help.

My friend only shrugged and sat down on one of the stools by the breakfast bar, "I saw you yesterday, it hasn't been that long."

"True," I gave in, too tired to argue about something so small, "We have to leave here by 4:30 in order to take pictures before the actual ceremony at 5." I told him.

Jimin just gave a thumbs up since his mouth was stuffed with a burger, "Jungkook usually has a class on Fridays at 5 and then goes to the bookstore after anyways so he'll be occupied and I won't have to feel bad for not including him."

The mention of the boy sent my stomach into its usual swirl of guilt. The last thing I need is some sweet text or call from him later wishing me goodnight or something that will make me feel worse. "Right."

"Come eat Tae, it's going to be fine." Jimin smiled in my direction and pulled out another burger for me, but that smile never reached his eyes and I could practically feel his nervousness and discontentment with this whole situation.

It only reflected my own. This was simple at first, I had no attachment to Jungkook so it was easy to not include him and ask Jimin to lie about his plans. But it's too serious now, I've learned and I've got to know this boy who closes off the world before it can judge what he's gone through. A world he has closed off specifically to keep out people who would lie and hurt him on purpose, exactly what I'm doing to him.

pls vote
i sound so desperate lol