Tony Stark-Hopeless

You stood on the steel platform of the Avengers Tower, leaning on the chest-high railing and gazing out at the beautiful city lights, pulsating against a pitch black sky.

It was the middle of the night and the others had gone to bed after a strenuous mission that had taken a psychical and emotional toll on all of you.

Clint had been shot in the stomach by a sniper you were supposed to take out and was currently in the hospital wing. Natasha was there as well, refusing to leave his side and you? You felt extremely horrible.

Sleeping meant closing your eyes and seeing all those images flashing in the dark.

The pool of blood.
The fear in his eyes.
Natasha's face.
You let out a heavy sigh.

"Hey, Y/N."

You whirled around and watched as Tony walked over to you, resting his back against the railing and crossing his arms.

"What are you doing out here?"

You turned back to the city without answering—it should be obvious why you were out there by yourself, but Tony was always one to try and drag out a response from someone particularly when they were in no mood to speak.

"It's not your fault, you know," he said, leaning against the railing, "none of us hold it against you. I mean, yeah, Clint got shot and he's dying in the hospital and he probably won't see his kids ever again. But it's not your fault."

His cheery voice ate at your bitterness.

"What do you want, Tony?" You asked tiredly.

You were getting sick of his bullshit, always patronizing you and putting you down. Most of the time you could handle it, but this one was way out of line.

"I came to check—"

You interrupted him with an irritated sigh.

"I messed up, okay? I cocked up the whole thing and now Clint's paying for it. Is that what you want?"

You moved closer to him, anger pushing you forward at the smirk on his face.

You could feel the hot sting of tears gathering in your eyes, but you refused to cry in front of him, choosing to blow up instead.

"I did it! I'm the reason he's probably gonna end up six feet under because I couldn't handle a simple order. It's all my fault, I know that! Just don't make me feel any more worse—."

You were cut off as Tony swooped to catch your face in his hands and pull you closer, his lips landing on yours. Instead of pulling away, you knotted your hands in his hair and moved your lips against his, leaning into him. Electricity seemed to run throughout your body, making you more aware of him, of his touch as his hands ran down your sides.

Too soon, you both pulled away to catch your breath.

"What-what was that for?" You asked, slightly panting.

He looked a little abashed as he scratched the back of his head.

"I guess...this is the wrong time to tell you, huh?"

You shook your head with a small smile as he tentatively wrapped his arms around you, a sudden warmth against the cold air.

"You're hopeless, Tony Stark."

"That I am."

——————

edited: this could have been written better tbh.