chapter twenty-seven

"HI MAGS," I say as I fall back into the hotel bed, stretching my free arm out before running my fingers into my hair as I rest the phone against my ear. "How was Florida?"

"It was great, actually," she says. "It was nice to get away from New York for a while. How was Christmas with your family? Was everything okay with Charlie?"

"You'd actually be proud of me," I say, smiling as Luke steps into the hotel room with a hanger of clothes fresh from the dry cleaners hanging from his fingertip. "I finally told my parents the truth and kicked him out mid-party."

"Look at my little Emmy!" She excitedly squeals in my ear. "All grown up."

My lips curl up as Luke hangs the clothes on the closet door before approaching me. There's a daring grin dancing on his lips as he rests his hand on my thighs, sliding them up to my waist as he leans over me. I chew my bottom lip as he slides his fingers beneath the oversized shirt I slept in, his hands warm on my skin.

"I know," I say with an unsteady breath. "I'm, uh, glad you called actually. I was going to call you in a bit because I have to cancel our plans tonight."

"What? Why?"

I close my eyes as Luke's lips touch my hip, slowly trailing up my stomach as his hands explore my body. "I'm kind of in Los Angeles right now," I say as I take a steady breath.

"Los Angeles?" she questions.

I hum softly as Luke finds my neck, slowly marking my skin. "Yup, the short story is that I'm with Luke and he was approached by the talent scout, and he asked me to come so here I am. In Los Angeles... with Luke."

"Wait, back up," Maggie says, but before she can say anything else Luke takes the phone from my fingers and brings it up to his ear.

"Hi Maggie, 4A has to go now," he says and before Maggie can get anything else out, he ends the call and grins at me with mischief in his eyes as he drops the phone on the mattress next to us. "Much better."

"She's going to call back," I say and as if on cue, it begins to ring again.

"You can call her back," he says as he finds my lips and I would argue if I was thinking straight. It's what I do best, especially with Luke, but right now all I want right now is to come unraveled in his arms. My lips curl up as our lips meet, my hands sliding down his back as I claw at the fabric of his shirt and pull it up.

"Off," I mutter quietly against his lips, breaking away far enough for him to let me pull the shirt off. I toss it onto the floor behind him as his hands move down my back, lifting me up as he moves me further up the bed.

My fingers tangle in his hair as his lips come back to mine. His body warm against mine as his hands slide up my sides. I lift my hips toward him, desperate to relieve the heat between my legs as he press tighter against me. His touch burning my skin as we lose ourselves in each other. The rush of his skin on mine leaving me warm as I find my high.

I didn't think I was the kind of person to get addicted, but that was before Luke. Before I knew how good it felt to actually enjoy myself and let go of the weight of the world. I've grown addicted to him and I will happily hold onto this. He's my fresh start. My love story.

"Can we just stay in bed all day?" Luke hums as he settles in next to me, kissing my shoulder as I turn into his side and run my fingers over his torso.

A smile curls up on my lips as I cross my arms over his chest, resting my chin against my arm. "Are you nervous about tonight?" I ask.

He shakes his head as his finger brushes over my jaw, the gesture small, but leaves my butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. "It feels like the rest of my life is about to begin," he admits. "I don't know what it is about you, 4A, but everything feels possible. My craziest dreams. The one I didn't even know I had."

"This has nothing to do with me," I tell him. "This is all you."

He smiles. "I'm glad you came."

"I am too," I admit. "I know you're going to get everything you deserve."

"God, you're perfect," he mumbles as he cups my cheek, rolling until I'm on my back and his lips can find mine again. A hunger that neither of us can ever satisfy. I arch into him as his fingers get tangled in my hair.

A small moan escapes my lips as his lips move to my neck. "Luke..." I trail off as I fight off my urge to stay exactly where we are for the rest of the night. "We need to get ready."

"Later," he whispers against my skin.

"Go shower," I mutter as my eyes flutter close.

He nuzzles his nose against my neck before lifting himself up to meet my eyes. "Okay, I'll go shower," he says as he reaches for my hand, pulling me up with him, "but you're coming with me."

"What? No!" I shake my head, but before I can protest he lifts me up and onto his shoulder as he heads towards the bathroom. "Luke, put me down!" I squeal, playfully hitting his back.

"No, can do, 4A," he says as he pulls the shower door open and steps inside.

"Luke, I swear to God!" I say, but the words die on my lips as the cold water hits my shirt and then warms as he sets me on my feet. "I cannot believe you just did that."

"What? You need to shower, too," he says. "Now we're saving water."

I hum as I run my fingers over my hair, smoothing it out over my skull as I look up at him. "Cause I'm sure we'll spend way less time in here together than we would have separately."

"You're getting it now," he says teasingly as he reaches for the hem of my soaked shirt and pulls it up over my head. "Much better."

I roll my eyes at him. "You're such a nerd."

"Yeah, but I'm your nerd," he says as he steps out of his underwear and tosses them onto the shower floor with my shirt. "Now, I believe we were in the middle of something."

"Yes," I say, nodding my head as I try to ignore how good he looks. "Getting ready."

He steps towards me and I take a step back as the cold air hits my skin, coating it in goosebumps as his hands slide over my waist. "I think that can wait."

"You're insatiable."

"Only for you, 4A," he mumbles as his lips hit the space below my ear. "Only ever for you," he whispers and just like that, I melt into him.