Chapter 7

“Ok, I’m leaving” Selene said going out the door.

“Good luck!” Gia yelled from the kitchen.

Selene walked to her truck, “Alright, time to go” she said as she inserted the key and rotated it. The car sputtered then died.

“What the…” she tried again, but it did not work. She sighed, dropping her head on the wheel. She heard a car honk. Selene looked through the window to see a red Chevrolet Corvette park next to her Ford. A tall man with dark sunglasses came out. He had layered black hair that reached his neck, and a stubble beard. He was wearing a light grey shirt and black jeans. He walked to her side, and motioned for her to lower the car’s window.

“Looks like you have a problem” he flashed her a bright smile as he took off his sunglasses. His eyes were a light blue.

“It would appear so” Selene said smiling.

“James, James Beckham” he extended his hand.

“Selene Reed” she said taking it.

“Well, I’ll see what I can do for you Selene, can you open the hood?”

“Sure” she said as she did what he asked.

Selene saw him walk to the front of the truck and check everything.

“Try again!” he yelled. Selene did so. The engine sputtered and died again.

“Not working” she yelled back

“Yeah, I can see” he closed the hood, and walked to her window “Sorry, not much of a mechanic”

Selene sighed, “It’s alright”

“Where are you going, maybe I can take you” he offered.

“No, you don’t have to do that, besides you probably have somewhere else to go”

“Well yeah, but that can wait” he smiled at her “Where are you going?” he asked again.

“To town”

“That’s not so far, just a couple of miles, I’ll take you”

“But…”

“Don’t worry, you won’t delay me”

She hesitated. “Ok” she finally agreed getting out of her Ford.

“Nice ride” she told him as he opened the passenger’s door for her.

* * * * * *

“So, why are you going to town?” James asked.