Chapter 25 - Part 1

Kate stepped away from the window as the bookshelf came crashing down right before her, blocking out the window and the fresh air she needed.

She coughed as she drew a breath.

There wasn't anywhere else to go.

She watched the bookshelf burn as her legs crumpled. But instead of sinking onto the floor, she felt a warm arm supporting her around her waist.

"We have to go."

She turned and blinked. It couldn't be. She blinked again, wondering if the lack of oxygen to her brain was causing her to hallucinate. She forced herself to focus, staring at the familiar faces in front of her.

The same couple she'd seen dancing outside the mansion. The same couple she'd seen in the picture. "Mr. and Mrs. Hayes?" Kate asked as she tried to grasp what was going on.

"You can call me Diana and my darling husband, Kenneth."

"Am I dead?"

"No, but we have to hurry or that may become true. Come, quickly."

Kate coughed again. She didn't have any strength left.

Somehow, she was still standing, but that was all she could do. She couldn't move her feet. It was getting painful to breathe. Her chest was burning like her house, and she was so tired.

"Kate, Ty needs you. You have to move. Come on, just put one leg in front of the other."

A tear slipped down her cheek. Diana was right; she had to move.

With great effort, she managed to do as she was told.

"The gun, Kate. Shoot at the glass."

Kate blinked and felt her lids scratching the contact lenses that seemed to have fused to her eyes.

She was back in the bathroom. The tiles inside must have held the fire back.

She turned to look at the floor, her head spinning as she did so. She tried shaking the drowsiness from her brain, but it only made her dizzier.

Her ears rang as the gun fired, but she couldn't even move her hands over her ears. She closed her eyes and felt herself falling.

She couldn't resist the relief she felt.

"Breathe, Kate."

The voice sounded so far away. She felt the urge to hang on to the voice, but she couldn't.

The burning pain was fading.

The heat against her skin was easing.

Thank you, for keeping your promise.

_________________________________________________________

Sorry for the lack of updates over the holidays! New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!