Late Night Awakenings (Newt)

She gasps and jolts up from bed, her back parallel to the wall. Moonlight shone in through the translucent curtains, and there wasn't a hint of sound in the apartment. It all seemed normal, except for the fact that her heart weighed ten times more.

Something wasn't right.

She couldn't pinpoint the problem, however. She feels, no, knows that something was wrong. It was like an extra weight had been added to one side of the balance, making it tilt to a particular side to become unbalanced. Something clicks inside of her, and she bolts out of the room and into another.

Newt Scamander was sleeping, for what seems like the first time, soundly, in bed. His soft snores made him seem peaceful, in his dreamland, unlike the other times before. She notices, and she wishes really hard that she didn't have to wake him, but honestly, it was those type of life and death situations where she needed his help desperately. She tiptoes towards his bed and crouched down, pulling off his blanket gingerly to uncover his face. His nose scrunches up a little before relaxing, and she takes a breath before making contact with him.

"N-Newt," she whispers in his ear. Knowing that he was a light sleeper, she hoped that this was enough to wake him from his slumber.

"Newt, wake up."

The magizoologist didn't stir. She shakes him a little harder, and speaks a little louder.

"Newt?"

He must have been really bummed out for the day. Reconsidering her actions, she stands up and backs away towards the door, hoping the issue could be resolved in the morning.

"I don't wanna go."

A wave of guilt and anguish washes over her and at that point, she was really sorry for doing this to him, but she couldn't take it. Her eyes begin to water for reasons unknown to her, and she needed him now more than ever.

"N-Newton, please wake up, please?"

To her relief, the wizard breathes in deeply, an indication of his sleep cycle broken, and rubs his eyes. He blinks a couple of times before his vision became clear, and there he saw, his friend, on the edge of his bed, and on the edge of breaking down. He gently wipes away the tear on her cheek and spoke in a whisper.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

Her words get caught up in her throat, she doesn't know what to say. She doesn't even know what's triggering her emotional breakdown, and she didn't even realise she was crying. She shakes her head, and mouths three words, knowing that her voice would break if she spoke further.

"I don't know."

Despite the temptation to just fall back on bed and back to sleep, Newt pushes himself off his bed. Most of the time, he would assume it was a bad dream and shrug it off, only offering the victim a piece of advice before heading back to bed, but she hardly ever has them. He knows this was different. She never wakes him up in the middle of the night, only to break down in front of him. Usually, he would be the one to do that. (It only happened twice, does that count?)

He pulls her into a hug, knowing that it brings her comfort no matter what the situation was. He strokes her head and mumbles soft words into her ear, hoping to soothe her to solve her problem.

She buries her head into his chest, her sobs becoming uncontrollably louder. What had gotten her into this state, Newt doesn't know, but he's determined to find out. He suddenly finds himself so awake even though he was asleep just moments ago.

"It's okay," he mutters, "We'll figure this out together, yes?"

He didn't get a reply back, but the unwritten rule between them was: Silence meant consent.