31. The Possession

"So this place is all yours? They just gave it to you?" Bonnie asked Elena. Elena signed the papers, becoming the official owner of the Salvatore house.

"For now. As the sole owner, I'm the only one who can invite a certain type of person in here, if you know what I mean."

"Your own personal safe house," Riley admired. "Nice."

Elena took one last look through the papers, before handing them back to the lawyer. "And you can come and go as you please," she said to Riley. "You have a key after all."

"Great," Riley smiled. "And does the owner of this house want to discuss the fact that her birth-mother killed herself last night, or is it too soon?"

Elena sighed, remembering her last encounter with Isobel. "Way too soon."

The lawyer left, and the three girls stood opposite the Salvatore brothers, the invisible barrier of the front door keeping them apart.

"Stefan. Would you like to come inside my house?" Elena asked her boyfriend with a flirtatious smile.

"I would love to," he replied, walking in.

Elena looked at Damon, frowning. "If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"

"No," Damon said incredulously.

"Seriously Damon, my way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. OK?"

Damon sighed, defeatedly. "Yes Elena, sure."

"Then please come in," she said, standing aside to let him in. Riley smirked and he glanced at her angrily.

"Shut up."

"We should get going," Bonnie reminded the girls, heading for the front door. Riley and Elena followed her.

"Wait, where are you going?" Stefan asked.

"Uh... school," Riley said in a 'duh' voice.

Damon spluttered in annoyance. "We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it!" he argued, taken aback.

"Yeah," Stefan added. "For all we know, Klaus could be out there."

Bonnie rolled her eyes. "If he shows his face, I can take him," she said determinedly. In fact, she was waiting for the mysterious Original to make himself known. There was no way he was gonna terrorize her friends and get away with it.

"The way I see it, the safest place we can possibly be is next to Bonnie," Elena said. "I'm not gonna be a prisoner."

The brothers couldn't think of a response, so the girls smiled at their triumph and left the house.

"Wait, I'm coming," Stefan said at the last moment, following them out of the door and towards Lexi Fletcher-Forbes, the love of Riley's life.

***

"She just, ripped off her daylight necklace and burned up in the sun," Elena told the girls at lunch. Caroline was busy planning the next decade dance.

"Wow," Riley said under her breath. "Why would she do that?"

"Guilt?" Elena suggested. "She betrayed her daughter and her husband for Klaus."

"Or Klaus compelled her?" Bonnie added. "I mean, it makes sense, doesn't it?"

Elena shrugged. "I don't want to think about that. In fact, I don't want to hear the name 'Klaus' again today."

"Hey Elena, there you are," a girl said, coming up to them. Her name was Dana and she was in some of their classes. "This totally hot guy just asked me to ask you if you're going to the dance tonight."