Chapter fourteen- I'm beginning to reconsider this entire idea

A√N
This chapter is dedicated to a lovely friend of mine Tz_sophie
To thank her for being a lovely friend and a shoulder to cry on. These few days have been really hard but I'm grateful to have someone like her around.

I can't heart you less.

Hunter's P.O.V
———————

" Mr McConnell it's time for the meeting " Iris calls outside my door and I grunt in annoyance.

  Would it kill to have just a day of nothing ?

  I walked out of the door and see her standing outside with a bunch of papers in her hands.

  She was also putting on glasses, I can't remember when last I saw her with those.

" I never knew you still used your glasses " I asked her as we made our way to the elevator.

" Are we back to you asking questions that I wouldn't answer?"  She steps into the elevator and goes to her extreme end again.

  All this distance keeping is beginning to make me feel like a monster.

After pressing the floor number into the control I stood back and waited for it to close.

" You know I wouldn't hit you anymore. I'm past that, so all this gap is for nothing " I look to her who is looking through all the papers in her grip.

" Better safe than sorry " Was her only response and we went back to silence.

She didn't even spare me a glance.

  As soon as the door opens up again she was out in a sprint and walked passed many people on the way who either exchanged greetings with her or checked her out.

That's a very unusual sight I'm seeing more of these days.

I followed after her and got almost the same reaction from the staff.

  Only thing was the female checking out was more.

Now that is what I'm used to.

   We approach the conference room and walked in. Shockingly nobody else is in here except us both.

" Where is who ever we're supposed to be meeting?" I asked her because I really hope he doesn't plan to waste my time.

" They said he's on his way up" Came her curt reply as she took a seat by my left hand.

  I sat at the head of the table and true to her words, the door opened revealing the man I was expecting.

Mason Reid.

Mason is Michelle's brother and the first one at that, who was in charge of majority of his fathers franchise.

" Hunter! My man. It's good to see you again " We do a brief handshake and a bro hug before he turned to Iris.

" Well I wasn't expecting to see this pretty lady anytime soon " He flashed her a wide smile before taking her hand for a shake that lasted longer than normal.

" It's nice to see you again " She smiles back at him and the odd handshake doesn't bother her at all.

Well I'm concerned.

" You guys know each other?" I asked since they seemed to forget I was in their midst.

" Yeah, we met few days ago. Gave her a lift home afterwards. May I say that was one of my best evenings in new York " Here they go with flirting again.

  She was practically enjoying this by the look on her face.

And did he say a lift home?

So he's the friend.

" Okay, now that all formalities are done, let's get down to business shall we?" .

And we all took our seats with Mason at my right hand.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

  Two hours later our meeting is concluded and I have never been happier to end a meeting as I am today.

Why?

Because I spent most of the time calling up Mason's attention from Iris. He seemed so engrossed and interested in her like she was made out of gold.

Bleh.

" Well Mr Reid, it was nice speaking with you. I hope to meet another day" I said as I stood up to indicate our end of meeting.

" I hope so too" Was his reply and he looked at Iris admirably meanwhile she blushed.

This mushy scene would make me give up my lunch pretty soon.

Walking out of the room, I left them to themselves as I took my ride back to sixth floor.

  After stepping out of the elevator, I stood by my secretary's door waiting for her to come up.

  She spent a whole fifteen minutes before I heard the elevators ping.

  She was taking slow steps with a smile on her face as she arrived at her door.

" So he's the friend?" I asked her as she walked into her office without acknowledging me.

  It's high time she learnt that a door will not stop me.

It never had and it never will.

" I asked a question " I said as I walked into the room

" Another one I won't grant a reply " She threw herself onto her seat and placed her head on the desk.

" Was this also part of your strategy? Flirting with Mason till he brings up a fair bargain?" I crossed my arms.

" Possibly " She lifted her head and shrugged.

" Keep lying. One day you'll learn how to "

" If I'm not mistaken Mr McConnell, but you actually sound jealous "

  I was taken aback. I? Jealous??

  I laughed out loud like I never had before and it took me a while to recover my breath.

" I can never be jealous of you sweetheart. I'm only trying to protect my friends from getting involved with a spigot like you "

  Or also trying to avoid you ruining my plans with Mr Reid.

  Her face showed a slight sign of hurt but as usual i really don't care.

" Okay, fine"

" Fine" I repeated after her.

" So why are you still here then? He's gone." She asked after a short silence befell.

  Why exactly was I still in here? I wanted to ask her about Mason so I could know their relationship before she ruins plans for me and Michelle.

  But she doesn't have interest in spilling so I might ask other questions.

" Did you inform Guillermo about the suit?" That was the only hanging thing left in my head.

" Uhun. He said it's taken care of " She got and went to the cabinet where she stocked files.

" Okay, what of your own attire?" She better not plan on embarrassing me by showing up in rags.

" I've asked Claudette and Jennifer out for help with that " She was scanning through files one after the other like she's looking for something.

Either that or she's willingly avoiding eye contact with me.

  I nodded in approval of the help she's getting from the two ladies at home.

But now that I think of it, Mason must be in attendance to this meeting.

I'm beginning to reconsider this entire idea.