11

Ruka (3)

I slowly opened my eyes and blinked a few times for them to focus. I was in the same position I slept in. I sat up on the bed and rubbed my eyes. Looking out the window, I was slightly surprised that it was already sundown. I slept that long?

As I stretched my arms out after I stood up, I slightly smiled at how refreshed I felt. The nap was only a few hours but it was still something.

In front of me on the bedside table laid folded clothes and a brush. I walked over to them and unfolded each piece of clothing. They were mine.

"Katara kept some." I quietly said to myself. I quickly change out of the raggedy prison clothes and into my own nice ones. They fit a little too loose on me, which isn't surprising.

I made sure to roll down the black sleeves to hide the scars on my arms. Luckily they were starting to blend in more with my skin, however, they were still there nonetheless.

I then grabbed the brush and combed my hair. I put the top half of my hair in a low ponytail and left the bottom half down.

When I heard Appa land with a growl, I peeked out of the door. I didn't even know they left.

I walk out of the room to join them. I furrowed my brows when I saw them all in a fighting position. I followed their stare then slightly widened my eyes when I saw Zuko standing there.

"Hello, Zuko here." He waved with a small smile. "Hey, I heard you guys flying around down there so... I just thought I'd wait for you here."

He seemed harmless... I crossed my arms and leaned on the pillar next to me. I felt a mix of emotions, but I concealed them. Also, I didn't want to make my presence known so I watched from afar.

Appa roared at him before licking his entire body. Zuko seemed to not mind this and just wiped away the slobber. "I know you must be surprised to see me here."

"Not really." Sokka said. "Since you've followed us all over the world."

Zuko looked down, slightly embarrassed. "Right. Well, uh, anyway... what I wanted to tell you about is that I've changed. And I, uh, I'm good now and well I think I should join your group."

Smoke practically blew out of my ears. You put us through all of that just so you could change your mind in the end?! You have to be to f-

"Oh, and I can teach firebending to you." He added quickly, lifting his eyebrows at Aang. "See, I uh-"

Toph cut him off, "You wanna what now?!"

"You can't possibly think that any of us would trust you, can you? I mean, how stupid do you think we are?!" Katara rhetorically asked him, anger pouring out.

"Yeah, all you've ever done is try to hunt us down and capture Aang!" Sokka added.

"I've done some good things! I mean, I could've stolen your bison in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free! That's something!"

I scoffed, if it wasn't for Iroh and I.

Again, Appa licks him.

Toph raised her brows, "Appa does seem to like him."

"He probably just covered himself in honey or something so that Appa would lick him." Sokka excused. "I'm not buying it!"

"I can understand why you wouldn't trust me. And I know I've made some mistakes in the past..." Zuko slightly frowned.

"Like when you attacked our village!

"Or when you stole my mother's necklace and used it to track us down and capture us!"

"Or what you did to Ruka!"

I moved away from the pillar, my hands down at my sides in fists. I don't know why them mentioning me bothered me so much. It was true. But I'd rather them leave me out.

"Look, I admit I've done some awful things. I was wrong to try to capture you and I'm sorry I attacked the Water Tribe. And Ruka... I regret it every single minute of the day. And I never should have sent that Fire Nation Assassin after you. I'm gonna try to stop-"

Assassin? When did he send an assassin?!

Sokka stopped as he pointed his boomerang at him. "Wait, you sent combustion man after us?!"

"Well, that's not his name, but-"

"Oh, sorry!" My brother sarcastically apologized. "I didn't mean to insult your friend!"

"He's not my friend!" Zuko defended.

Toph pointed at him, "That guy locked me and Katara in jail and tried to blow us all up!"

Zuko sighed before averting his eyes to Aang. "Why aren't you saying anything? You once said you'd thought we could be friends. You know I have good in me."

I remember that day. I didn't want to slow Aang down so I stayed behind with Zuko. That feels like years ago.

Aang looked over to the others. Sokka shook his head at him, he then turned back to Zuko with his brows furrowed. "There's no way we can trust you after everything you've done! We'll never let you join our group."

Zuko looked heartbroken. But what did he expect? That he can just show up here and say some speech then everything would be okay?

"You need to get out of here. Now!" Katara demanded.

"I'm trying to explain that I'm not that person anymore!" Zuko urged. Sokka pulls out his boomerang, making him step back.

"Either you leave or we attack."

"If you won't accept me as a friend..." he proceeds to go down on his knees then lift his wrists up together. "Then maybe you'll take me as a prisoner."

"No, we won't!" Katara whips out a stream of water at Zuko, shooting him back. After that, I took a step forward into the light. I looked from my sister to Zuko who sat up, soaked. "Get out of here and don't come back! And if we ever see you again... well, we better not see you again!"

When he still didn't get up and leave, Katara was going to attack him again. But before the harsh flow of water could hit him, I ran in front of him then turned the water away, letting it splash on the floor.

"Enough!" I yell to them. I turn around at Zuko, my face and tone showed that I wasn't having it anymore. "Know your place and leave."

His eyes slightly widened as he looked me up and down. "Ruka..."

"Zuko!" My eyes were begging him. Finally, Zuko stood up and left.

I turn back to the others. They all looked at me confusion.

"Let that be the last time you bring me up like that. I'm not one of your reasons why you don't trust him. That's between the two of us. Not you."