Chapter Twenty Two

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Twenty Two

Once we're home from the hospital, the three of us are exhausted

Once we're home from the hospital, the three of us are exhausted. It's written clearly on each of our faces.

The only thing keeping my eyes open is Jake Miller. I don't know how and where he is. No one does. I feel so guilty for searching his car to confirm my theory. There would've been no accident if I hadn't scared him from being caught.

I keep looking at my hand where the line has begun to fade. I'm not angry at him. I'm worried. He and I are more alike than I'd ever realised. I'd lost control of my disorder when times got tough, and he turned to drugs to help.

Both are deadly and dangerous. Yet, we found comfort in them.

"Earth to Lolita." Waves in front of my face. I blink a few times and see that it's William. "Are you okay?"

"My head hurts, that's all." I barely feel my bad arm if I keep it still, but it's as if my heavy thoughts are jumping around in my skull to feed a headache.

It begin the moment I had stepped out of the car. I almost vomited from the pain. "Go lay down for a few minutes and I'll get you some pain killers." He offers.

There's no strength for me to nod, so I keep my focus on the walls to avoided any nausea. "Will you be okay for a quick second? I need to run over to my place to get some fresh clothes."

It's only now that I notice Hunter's training outfit has blood on it. My blood. "It's fine. You reek of the hospital." I joke, but he doesn't glare teasingly like he normally does.

He still has a concerned frown on his face. "Do you need me to-"

"I haven't lost my legs, Hunter. It's fine. Go change." I appreciate his concern, but dealing with both his and William is too much. All I have his a headache and sore arm, but they're making me feel as if I'd been paralysed.

Hunter smiles apologetically before he disappears around the corner. I push open my bedroom door and my eyes fall to the rectangle box on my bed. The one with a bow on top that Hunter told me about.

Even when I sit on my bed, I don't look away from it. I assumed it would be a 'get well soon' gift, but the size of the box is too big for it. I take the envelope off first that has my name written cursively.

We managed to gather evidence for Coach to get rid of Mia, Kimberly, and Natasha today. It's all up to you now, if you're willing to join us.
Meet us on Sunday in the school gym at midday to choreograph the half time performance for the game on Monday- of you would like.
We hope to see you there, Captain.
Becky.

I read it again. Then again. The words don't change. I thought I'd read something that I wanted to see. But this is real.

I toss the letter beside me and rip the black lid off the gift box eagerly, my excitement boiling deep within my chest. This was all I ever wanted since it was taken from me.