Chapter Thirty | First World

[ 30 ]

"Stick out your tongue." XeLeader ordered, making ShuNing instinctively look towards Elder Kang who stood just to the side of the room.

ShuNing had awoken fairly early due to a summons. Instead of it being from Kang Guiren, as he had expected, the order instead came from the clan's tyrannical leader himself. With absolutely no awareness for what could be happening, he could only get dressed and attend dutifully.

Elder Kang was the first to greet him, and reassured him with a smile and a few words. The older man didn't go into detail as he whisked ShuNing down the expansive halls and towards another unfamiliar room. This appeared to be XeLeader's office. A place many climbing the ladder could only wish to be invited to, and the other half only tremble in fear at the sight of.

Inside the room, garnered in only the best of everything, XeLeader was himself dressed as casually as he could get. Instead of the grand robes that had gold embroidered into every stitch, he wore a simple dress robe. The mans long black hair, identical to ShuNing's, was left loose, with only a few strands pulled back and pinned into place.

The man had looked over at them when they entered, the usual piercing yellow-eyed gaze that made everyone hesitate. XeLeader had the temperament of a wild animal. You had to teeter around him, not daring to turn your back.

But he wasn't alone in his cage. Standing to the side was the clans official doctor, the finest Medicinal Cultivator. This happened to be the first time that ShuNing had encountered such a man. No doubt they been in the same room once or twice, but before now ShuNing had no desire to reach out to communicate with the man. He was well aware of where the Officials alliances lay.

The man, in all appearances, looked somewhat similar to Elder Kang. He had long silvery hair, but unlike Elder Kang who held an air of respectable aristocracy, this man held resemblance to a mantis. The man, though likely having many bags filled with coin, appeared like he was wasting away.

Upon spotting ShuNing, the man had tilted up his chin. Apparently the old official didn't need to degrade himself by looking upon the youth.

It was almost as soon as they entered the room, did XeLeader give ShuNing the instruction. Completely lost, but not stupid, ShuNing parted his lips and exposed his tongue.

"Old man, do your job." XeLeader wafted a hand and the Old Official blinked, clearly surprised, but did as instructed.

The man didn't need to get too close as he inspected ShuNing's mouth, much to both of their confusion. Elder Kang stood to the side with his hands clasped calmly behind his back. He appeared more than happy to stand there and watch this.

"From what I can see, the boy appears healthy." The old man countered, albeit treading carefully.

"Perhaps check under his tongue?" Elder Kang then spoke.

The Old Official's head snapped in the direction of the man he had rivalled against for many years. He sneered at the man's words, not because he was hiding anything, but because he refused to be told what to do by the bigot.

"Do it." XeLeader agreed.

ShuNing, glancing left and then right, blinked innocently before curling up his tongue for the man to see. And judging by the man's quick colour change, something was clearly amiss. The Old Official stepped back, bringing his closed hand to his mouth and gave a slight cough.

"Yes, um, there appears to be a small scar on the underside of his tongue. Nothing to be concerned about though, XeLeader, the scar is old and could have been easily done in his sleep." The man gave his expert opinion. Whilst ShuNing was flabbergasted. What scar?