51

Rosie was disheartened as she walked into the kitchen at Roses, plopping down on top of a cleared bench and leaning forward so that her elbows were resting on her knees. She made a pretty picture for certain, and all of the male chefs took a moment to admire her, but when Penny caught sight of her a few moments later it was instantly clear that she was not having a good day.

"What's the matter, babes?" Penny asked as she moved to stand beside Rosie, never once pausing in stirring the dressing she was mixing together. Rosie looked up at Penny with large green eyes, and Penny almost wanted to pat her on the head like she would a kitten. Rosie looked a bit like a drenched kitten at that moment, the downpour outside not helping in the slightest.

"I had another interview today and it was a horrible school. All the students were packed like matchsticks in their classroom, almost on top of one another, and they all had to wear these hideous grey uniforms, floor-length skirts for the girls! And there was no air conditioning in the building"

Rosie slumped even further forward.

"That sounds miserable. Don't give up though. Don't you have another interview later this week?"

Rosie shrugged listlessly and sat up so that she could move her dripping hair over her shoulder. She hopped off the counter and walked over to the sink to wring it out.

"The way things are going, it's going to him the same as the last six. I graduated with honors so schools are practically falling over themselves to hire me. The only problem is the schools make me want to jump off the astronomy tower at Hogwarts."

Penny rolled her eyes and set her dress aside.

"Now you're just being melodramatic. And besides, shouldn't Minnie be getting back to you any day now?" Penny had been delighted when Rosie had offhandedly mentioned Minerva's preference that her graduated students call her by her name. Of course, Rosie doubted absurd nicknames were what Minerva had on mind when she made the offer.

"Come on, Penny. There's no way Hogwarts will make a new class just for me. There hasn't been a change in the syllabus there since Rowena Ravenclaw came up with it in the first place." Rosie flopped down on a conveniently placed chair and watched her best friend move on to putting a salad together, presumably to go with her dressing.

Penny just shrugged

"You don't have a lot of other prospects right now, babes. Maybe let yourself get your hopes up for once. You put a lot of thought into that lessons plan, and if Hogwarts doesn't accept it, you can bet your ass Beauxbatons or Durmstrang will. It's bloody brilliant." Really, Penny knew the only reason Rosie even wanted to teach at Hogwarts was that Harry would go there soon. He was certainly showing signs of credential magic. He'd once given his cousin pig ears and a tail after Dudley stole the last slice of ham at dinner. Rosie took a picture and she and Penny had a good laugh over it.

"I suppose you're right," Rosie sneakily used her wand to cast a drying spell on her clothes. Of course, Penny employed witches and wizards, but she also employed a few muggles. Everyone had to be a little trickier about the magic that used as a result.

"That doesn't mean I can't continue to stress about it though. Wouldn't it just be the worst luck if I find out that yes, they want to implement my idea, but they're going to find someone else for the position?"

Penny, who had been peeling snow peas, paused to throw one at Rosie's head. The Muggleborn deftly caught it in her mouth with a satisfied smile.

"I'll see you for dinner, alright? Harry misses you desperately and I need help supervising Mrs. Figg. She wants to use my potions equipment and you've always been better at fixing things before they blow up."