Chapter Forty: Eleven Years, Eleven Freaking Years

I cracked the classroom door open and poked my head outside, peering into the hall. I looked left, right then left again. Parker put his chin sitting on top of my head, so his head turned when I looked around. I knew he was smiling because I couldn't help but smile myself at his corniness.

"Is it safe yet?" He whispered to me.

"I don't know," I whispered back. "How about you check it yourself?"

He looked at me in confusion. "What do you-"

I suddenly pushed him out the door, making him stumble forward into the crowded hall, almost knocking over someone. Everyone stopped walking and stared at Parker. Parker turned back to me and caught the backpack I chucked at him right in the stomach with a grunt.

I grinned at him. "Is it safe yet?"

"I don't know. How about you check it yourself?"

"What do you-"

Parker grabbed my hand pulled me towards him, yanking me out of the classroom. I yelped as I stumbled towards him and into his arms. Then the both of us just grinned at each other.

"Is it safe yet?" He asked me.

"It does to me," I said back, leaning forward.

He quirked an eyebrow. "Does it now?" Parker mused.

"Yeah it-"

"-is so weird," someone finished.

The both of us snapped our heads towards the people next to us.

"I know," her friend whispered back. "It really is weird."

"It seems so," she paused to think about it then said, "unnatural."

I snorted. "The only thing that's unnatural is your-"

"Now Naomi," Parker said with a frown.

"What?" I asked innocently. "I was only going to say grades."

He gave me a blank look.

"Okay, fine, not really."

The girl ignored me and continued talking to her friend.

"I mean, I know that she's not Nerdy Naomi anymore, but it still has to be weird for the both of them," she said. "He bullied her since like freshman year, that's three years."

So she can count.

"I wonder how they can like each other despite their history together," her friend muttered. "She has to remember the things he did to her, the times he bullied her."

I felt Parker's grip around me tighten.

"What I'm thinking is that he's just pulling a joke on-"

"How about you go talk somewhere else?" I barked at them.

The both of them rolled their eyes and walked away, probably going to continue talking about this. Parker awkwardly let go of me and we were both left just standing beside each other.

"Can I walk you to class?" He asked me.

"I don't know," I said. "Can you?"

"Can I?"

"Can you?"

"Can I?"

"You're supposed to say may instead of can."

Parker burst out laughing. "Okay then. May I walk you to class?" He held out his hand to me.

"That's better." I took his hand. "Yes, you may."