twenty two | 22

A/N - There's no gif. That's new. Oh...

ed·u·cate

Céline.

A couple of weeks have passed and it was my first day of classes. My last — first — day of school. 

My eyes peered around the new campus; the place that is now my fourth home — The University of Kansas. Historical buildings were presented in front of me; each of them welcoming me inside, into a world of yet unknown things I've yet to learn. Every single one of them told a story, dating back over one hundred years ago, as the pioneers first started to make their journey to the Kansas territory. 

Everything starts small and grows from there. From a strong egg and a troop of a sperm cell, to an embryo, to a fetus, and to a baby; they're all tiny paths that lead to a form of great knowledge, success, and dedication through life. As our own feet make a foot print on the planet, others did the same thing, hundreds of years ago, bringing us to what we have today. Without the first step, we'd all be standing as statues, doing nothing but admiring one another's incompetence, and what we could have done.

The cobalt blue, bright red, and mustard colours, are brought together, uniting to form the Jayhawk symbol; the mascot and inspiration of the people who made their stamp to the local society. The mascot was printed on a flag, placed on each street light throughout the campus, proudly waving its success of history.

Large and old architectural masterpieces, of red brick and ashy stone, stood strong as they overlooked a small hill and hundreds of trees surrounding them. The green grass had begun to fade in colour, as the blaring sun's own clock was hinting a change of season. Some of the trees and the leaves had already turned to gold and crimson; and others still hanging on with the vibrant hue of moss. The trunks of each, gaining a ring, as they grew older every year. They showed their beauty and age as time passed by. 

Everything gains its charm with age, like cheese and wine; yet, we never truly believe it. As humans, we tend to believe that growing everyday just ages us, bringing us to a frail and hideous physical stage; but to contraire, it's the complete opposite. We gain emotional strength and wisdom, along with hundreds of stories to tell the people around us — whether relatives or strangers.

A small smile grew on my face as I watched other students around me, already having their noses stuck in their books, preparing for their first lectures of the semester. Some were sitting under a tree, their backpacks placed carelessly beside them. Some sat on a couple of benches nearby, drinking from an energy drink — which they were probably stocking up on for the dreadful mid-terms. Of course, those were miles away; yet they are somehow automatically planted in our minds as soon as the school year starts. And some, were just laughing with their friends and peers, enjoying the last few moments before they were dragged into their studies.

As I walked towards a coffee cart stand, I looked over to my right, noticing a couple sitting together on a bench. Their hands were held together, as they laughed at something, their smiles wide on their faces. He then suddenly paused a moment and looked at her. I watched at how he was in such awe of her presence beside him. I noticed how her cheeks immediately turned to a rosy pink as he mouthed, 'you're so beautiful', then leaned over to give her a small kiss onto her lips. Their love was pure and it was young; something that everyone deserved to have.

I longed to have that love at their youthful age, but was unfortunately taken advantage of. I blamed the prick, myself, and my emotions for it though. Since then, I'd put up a concrete wall with steel rods, making it almost indestructible. Two people have gone through it like ghosts though — Josephine and Hazel. I'd broken it slightly for Lena. Leaving one more important person that is slowly on the verge of destroying the wall completely and making it seemed like it had never existed; and that person is Harry.