Chapter 14 : Dealing with oneself 101

You might not be sympathizing to my lost dog situation. Why would you? You don't know Simba. You couldn't care less. Nobody is that selfless that they want to be emotionally invested in someone else's dog.

I got Simba when he was just a pup. Baby golden retrievers who looked like he knew what smiling was. He would let his tongue hang lose and squint happily. He's not greedy when it comes to food. He would wait his turn shyly. He would let my aunt's cat dig in his bowl and just look at it until someone moved the cat. Whenever he'd sploot on the ground, he'd look like a rug. He loved squeaky toys and would never pass on fetching. To this day, I don't know the sound of his growls.

For the longest time, I believed he has dog ADHD because he couldn't stay focused on anything more than three seconds, making teaching him tricks a living nightmare. On walks, he'd never try to run after cats if he saw them. Sometimes, he'd push the door of my room open with his head and make his way in, poke me in the leg with his cold, runny nose than head back out. Just to signal that he was there.

I'm not trying and paint Simba as this special, overly smart, heroic dog you see in movies and books. He ain't no Lassie and he definitely isn't Airbud. I am a fair owner. I acknowledge his dumbass dog moments.

But listen carefully : A dog is a dog.

Simba's not smart, but he's not completely stupid either and he listens to commands. In those woods? He was onto something. He didn't just take off like a rocket ship to follow an invisible squirrel in there. He was following something that ran off when it saw him. It ran off fast, far and without a sound. No matter how exited Simba is, he always listens to command and comes back.

Today was out of character.

I shrugged it off. I shouldn't have.

But how could I care about the invisible squirrel when my beloved pet, loyal friend and longtime companion was lost?

I wanted to scream until my vocal chords tore in half.

"What are you doing in my house?"

Those words embarrassed me for a second then nothing.

I was exhausted and drowsy, really drowsy. Something was wrong with me because I actually forgot for a second where I was. I had really bad brain fog.

I was a shivering, cold, tired, confused mess.

My senses came into awareness again when Alexander walked into my view but quickly everything blurred up and a shiver went down my spine. I wanted to throw up.

What's up with me? My heartbeat was slowing down and everywhere hurt.

Alexander halted. Looked at me for a second. Then his smile disappeared and in a flash, rushed towards me, a serious look on his face.

"Alexa, what's wrong?" He asked, alarmed and Jay's smile also disappeared while he came closer, curious.

I just looked at him with no response. He was wearing an expensive looking blue navy suit and his hair was neatly slicked back in a way that made him seem dangerous and professional. He was dressed like the CEO of a hotel chain, and so was Jay.

He looked hot. And god help me, I needed "hot" at the moment.

"What is it?" Jay inched closer then gasped, "What the hell happened to you?" he eyed me up and down.

I think the fact that I was passed out on the ground in that house finally hit them both and they looked at me, worried. Alexander slowly took my face in his hand than grasped. He cupped both my cheeks then dropped his hands to my neck.