Chapter 9

"What do you want from me?" I asked, lifting my head slightly to move the blade away from my neck, to no avail. 

I heard him breath out in an amused chuckle. "You know what I want." He said, his tongue grazing the tender skin of my ear. 

My face contorted and I tried to pull away from him. I don't know how Mike found me, but he did. And this was a problem. I thought I vanished from the states without a trace, but I must have left a sloppy trail. He was one of the many reasons I moved to Japan, but not the only one. 

"Ah, ah, ah~! I know what your trying to do. Stop moving, or I'll cut this vein and your dead." He said, his grip unrelenting. He had a blade to my throat and a hand on my shoulder that had a grip like steel. 

'Your quirk, dumbass!' I mentally chided. My hearing had already been heightened, but I hadn't been paying attention to any of the noise he was making. I wasn't able to use anything against him. I had one tell when I was recording something for me to mimic, and it was goosebumps. My skin would flush with goosebumps when I was paying close enough attention to grasp onto something.  

Goosebumps rose on my skin as I started listening for anything to use against him. I can't stay like this very long. Maybe fifteen seconds, max. And I needed a five second pause before trying to pick up sound again. I was listening desperately for something, anything to use against him. But his breathing hitched and I couldn't pick up a heart beat from him. His movements were still and he didn't make a sound. My hearing quickly fell and a lowly chuckle escaped his lips.

"I know your tell." He said. 

My flesh flushed with goosebumps again, and I tried to get anything. But still, nothing. I squinted my eyes shut and my hearing fell again, my goosebumps leaving my skin. I growled to myself quietly, trying to figure out how to come out on top in this situation. 

'He has a blade pressed to my neck, so if I try and headbutt him, he'll slit my throat. I can't use my quirk, he knows me too well. I've gotta try and bullshit my way out of this.' I thought, desperately looking around the room. 

"How did you find me?" I asked, hoping for an answer. 

He didn't respond. 

'Fuck! He knows me to well!' I thought. At this point, I was getting desperate.

His hand began to travel to my undesirable areas, and I began to squirm. That only made the situation worse. Blood began to ooze out of my neck at an alarming rate and he grasped me much too tightly, definitely leaving bruises where his hand had been. I heightened my hearing once again, but not activating my quirk. I heard a pair of shoes padding up to my front door. I had no idea who it could be, but I couldn't be more thankful. 

I heard my knob jiggle and the door flew open. I quickly activated my quirk to pick up any sort of sound this person would make. 

"Oh, (Y/nnnn)!" The voice of my best friend loudly chimed out. 

I opened my mouth and repeated the exact sound that came out of her mouth, at ten times the volume she had originally said it.  This was enough to make anyone's ears bleed. The glass of my window shattered and Mike dropped the knife he was holding, his hands flying up to cover his ears. He stumbled backwards as he looked at my best friend, who was also doubled over and holding her ears. 

"Dude, what the hell?!" She shouted. 

I spun and used her words to my advantage. I spat them out towards Mike, his face contorting even further. Because my blast was aimed directly at him, it could possibly deafen him. I was thankful that Ashley was around the corner, or it would have the same effect on her. Mike slumped to the ground and held his head. I ran towards him and sent a kick flying at his head. I impacted and he slumped to the side, knocked out. I sighed and put a hand to my throat, trying to stop the blood from running so freely. 

I turned around the corner and saw Ashley still holding her head, giving me an angry and bewildered look. Then she saw the blood on my neck and her face instantly fell. 

"Oh my god, what happened?!" She asked rushing toward me. 

"Call the police. I'll explain later." I mumbled, looking back at the scum that was unconscious on my living room floor. Ashley just nodded and abided by what I told her to do.

*****

After a while, the police showed up,  along with an ambulance. The police took Mike into custody and asked me a few questions while the EMTs fixed me up. They couldn't do much. They were able to stop the bleeding and put in a few stitches, but that was it. I had a tender line of red that slid across my throat. The police left soon after they arrived and I sighed, re-entering my apartment. I looked at the shattered glass of my window and my blood that stained the front of my shirt and my couch. They had taken the knife for evidence.

"I hope that little bastard went deaf." I growled, looking about my apartment. 

"Yeah, what the hell was that?" She asked, grabbing my shoulder and giving me a look of concern. I hissed in pain and she immediately let me go. "Sorry."

I turned to face her and quickly pulled her into a hug. "You saved my life." I said, squeezing her tightly. 

She hugged me back. "How?" She asked as we pulled away from one another. 

"He followed me from the states. How he found me, I don't know. I don't know why he didn't turn up sooner, but that doesn't matter. That was Mike." I said, stuffing my hands into my pockets. "If you wouldn't have burst through my door and said something, he would have won. He would have gotten what he wanted." I said, my gaze not leaving hers. 

She looked at me, rather dumbfounded. "Wait, that was Mike? Your ex? The one that's tried to kill you, like, five separate times?" She asked, pointing over her shoulder. I gave her a serious look and nodded. "Holy shit!" She said, a hand shooting up to her hair and she scratched her head. I just nodded again and turned away, facing the broken window.

"He's the reason I won't get into another relationship." I said quietly, looking at the broken shards of glass as tears pricked my eyes. 

Ashley came up and lightly put a hand on my shoulder. "I would normally make a comment about that, but now's not the time." She quietly responded. 

My tears threatened to spill over the edge and I sighed. "I need to get this place cleaned up." I said, turning away.

I walked and grabbed the broom, taking the dust pan and returning to the pile of broken glass. I began to sweep it up and Ash went about, checking for any other broken things. Fortunately, I had only broken the window. I cleaned everything up and began looking for ways to patch the large hole in my window. I settled on patching it with cardboard and duct tape, hoping to keep the air out. 

I let out a sigh after I finished my job, plopping onto the bloodstained couch. I still hadn't changed. "I'm probably gonna get kicked out for this." I groaned, rubbing my face. 

"What? Why?" Ashley asked, delicately sitting on the couch next to me. 

"Because the last noise complaint that I had was a final warning. Someone is bound to be a dick about this one." I said, letting my head rest in my hands. 

"Dude, you were fighting for your life! Can they really hold that against you?" She asked, looking over at me. I looked at her and said nothing, just giving a simple nod. "That's bullshit!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air.

I nodded. "Yeah. I just don't know what I'm gonna do. If I get evicted from here, I won't be able to get a place anywhere else. Evictions look really, really bad." I said, rubbing my face again. 

"I would say you can stay with me, but I've only got a one bedroom apartment, and I know how we both are." She said, looking forward. I nodded.

"I might have to crash on your couch for a day or so, though. Is that alright?" I asked, sheepishly. I felt powerless, and this was the only thing I could think of. 

She nodded. "Yeah, for sure. Just remember, that's Edgars domain. He will sleep on you." She said, talking about her cat. 

I laughed. "Yeah, I know. Edgar and I will be cuddle buddies." I joked.