Fourteen

Suddenly, with a combined shrill shriek all the merpeople moved at once to surround him, pointing their sharp weapons at him threateningly. Oh dear.

Harry eyed the sharp pointy things warily. This was a predicament. A very bad predicament. Still making sure to keep a firm grip on Draco's ankle, he let go of the silver haired girls rope. "One person, one champion!" The mer-leader shrieked. At least, what he thinks is the leader. Harry frowned. "She's my friend too!" He yelled. Even though the words came out in bubbles, they seemed to understand him. The merpeople gestured with their weapons. "No." The leader hissed. Harry scowled, his anger festering inside him. This was life and death! First, they refused to give him a pointy thing and now, they aren't letting him save the girl? F*uck this, Harry swore.

He pulled out his wand from the waistband of his swimming trunks, clutching it tightly and pointing it menacingly at the merpeople. They all shrieked at the sight of the brown wand and clambered over each other to get far enough away from it. They hovered around the edge of the clearing, just at the invisible line where the ruins stopped. Harry grinned. Keeping an eye on the merpeople, he bent down to pick back up the rope and grabbed the rock that Krum had dropped. Carefully putting his wand in between his teeth (which was probably not very safe but he was currently under water, about to run out of time and surrounded by armed merpeople. He's in a pretty dangerous situation as it is), he began to saw at the rope with the sharp rock.

Pretty soon, the rope snapped and Harry frantically grabbed her arm before she could float away. I mean, yes, we all float too but now was not the time! Still keeping his wand clenched in between his teeth, he began to kick with his flipper, propelling slowly away from the towers. He kept a sharp eye on the merpeople. They hovered near him, doing nothing but watching, following him slowly, still keeping their distance. Harry was cautiously glancing back at them every minute. They weren't doing anything. They didn't look like they were about to attack him. But still. He needed to be prudent and always on the look out for danger. Cause there's something strange in this under water neighbourhood, but he can't call the Ghostbusters. Although maybe that might work for getting rid of Myrtle. Hmmm....

Snapping out of his reverie, Harry noticed the dull rays of light beginning to stream from above. Yes! He was almost there. He glanced at his watch, ignoring the burning ache in his legs as he kicked them fiercely, only to remember that his watch had stopped working the moment he had jumped (fallen) into the lake. He cleared his itchy throat and just focused his gaze above him. He was so close. He could almost taste the freedom and longed desperately to be out of this nightmare. He would seriously need to question Dumbledore on this task. Risking a student's life? Multiple students lives? Not okay.

The tickle in the back of his throat persisted and he made a mental note to get a Pepper-Up potion from Madam Pomfrey. It was probably all this staying in the cold depths of the Great Lake. It was really strange. Now that he nor the others were in imminent danger, he noticed so much. For example, how the now prominent light reflected off the coiling seaweed as it swayed in the faint current of the water. And the small shoals of fish that flitted around in the murky water. And how, his throat was about to fucking close up. Harry frowned and cleared his tingling throat. However, the itching sensation only got worse. Soon, his throat felt like it was burning and the same feeling began to spread in his hands and feet. He let out a deep guttural groan as the pain increased. Thousands of tiny needles stabbed his skin as he writhed in pain.

The thought of holding on to Draco and the girl was stricken from his mind and he curled up into himself, clutching at his neck as if that would stop the pain. The two unconscious students began drifting upwards towards the surface. Their robes billowed in the small current, and their limp bodies seemed to be dragged upwards by an invisible hand. Harry squinted at them through watery eyes and let out another yell when a particularly intense bolt of pain ripped through his body. He kept his pain filled gaze on Draco's rising body in despair. He was so close, he couldn't not make it. He just couldn't. He squeezed his eyes shut, gritting his teeth against the pain and tried to kick out with his feet. He swallowed down a sob and kicked again. And again.

His vision began to cloud over and black spots danced across the underwater scene before him. His lungs were burning with the need for air but he kept his mouth tightly closed. Around him, the merpeople watched his plight emotionlessly, but even though they wouldn't have tried to help even if they couldn't, Harry had completely forgotten about them. He was entirely focused on going up, and getting out, and getting breaths of sweet, sweet air. Black clouded the edge of his vision and he fought the urge to cry. He had to make it. He just had to. But he was so tired. And his body was so weak.

His limbs felt heavier than he'd ever felt them before. Eventually, Harry ran out of energy and let his limbs fall limp. He kept his gaze trained on the greenish light above him, desperate for another glimpse of Draco, until the black spread across his entire field of view. Harry's eyes closed and he felt all of his body relax. Reflexively, he gasped for air, unable to handle the burning anymore. Water flooded his lungs and he coughed and choked on the cold, unnatural substance filling his body. He jerked and twitched as he fought with regained strength. But it was too late. He gave one last sputtering, watery cough before falling silent and limp. Deathly silence reigned.

Suddenly, his head broke the water and his eyes flew open in shock. His hands scrabbled at his throat as he coughed up all the water that had entered his system. "Harry!" Someone called frantically. Harry's eyes swivelled unseeingly as water kept pouring from his lips. He felt his body being yanked towards shore and a heavy weight hit his chest rhythmically. "Harry!" Someone sobbed. Harry choked and gasped as he kept heaving up water. He turned around, away from the heavy weight and vomited a bucketful of water onto the pebbly shore. He coughed and took gulping breaths of air. Something heavy collide with his body and wrapped around his entire being. Draco gasped in relief and began to sob heavily into Harry's wet shoulder. Harry clutched Draco to him, laughing shakily. "I-I thought you had died!" Draco wailed. He was acting completely out of character for the composed, emotionless Slytherin king he was supposed to be.

He shoved Harry away and then pulled him back into the embrace immediately. Harry stared mesmerized into Draco's tear filled silver eyes. He brought his shaking hands up to grasp his smooth, perfect, blemish free face. His gaze raked over every inch of the blond's face, committing it to memory. Draco sniffled and shook his head. "Never. Do that to me again." He commanded with a tremulous voice. Harry shook his head. "Never." He vowed. Draco drew in an unsteady breath and searched Harry's jade-like eyes with his own panicked silver ones. "I love you so much." Harry whispered croakily before pulling Draco into a breath taking kiss. They broke away moments later, both breathing heavily. "I love you too." Draco murmured.

Oof! This took a while to write, sorry about that XD This was surprisingly hard to write and I'm not really that happy with it, but I was like. Becca. You're off sick from school. You have the house to yourself. FINISH THE CHAPTER.
Anyway. Hope you enjoyed! And that I didn't kill you all during this. 😂😂  Please comment and vote! MWAH