Sign Your Life Away

I couldn’t find it in myself to go back in that office, especially this soon. I’m not sure I can handle Mr. Hollington’s stare much longer. It feels as though he is reading me. Looking into my soul and discovering my deepest darkest secrets.

“You are being silly, Sarah.” Cassie was trying to reassure me that everything would be fine.

“You didn’t see how he looked at me. I thought I was going to piss myself.” I mentally checked myself to make sure I didn’t have to go change my panties.

“That is all in your head. You have to go back in there anyways. He is going to think something is wrong if you wait any longer.” Cassie had a point. Maybe it was all in my head.

“Fine, but don’t expect to come to my funeral when he kills me.” Both, Donna and Cassie, laughed at my frustration.

“Sweetie, I’ll come anyways. Now, get your ass in there and sign your life away to this company.” Cassie pushed the button to open the door, and right away I could see Mr. Hollington sitting at his desk talking on his phone. As soon as I fully entered the room, the door shut behind me.

“I need it here before the weekend…I understand…she will do perfectly fine…bye.” Oh no, not with the staring again. “I will need your cellphone number in order to contact you on a daily basis.” He slid a piece of paper and a pen across his desk for me to write my number down. Craptastic. I don’t have a cellphone. I threw mine out the window going down the interstate. Plus, that wasn’t a question, so I can’t speak. But I can’t just stand here and not say anything. He is going to think that I am stupid. What do I do?

I did the next best thing I could think of. I walked up to the desk and wrote down on the piece of paper, “I no longer have a cellphone.” There, I didn’t break a rule, and I still was able to communicate with him. I slid the piece of paper back over to him. He already had his phone ready to add my contact.

I watched as his face went from confused to astonish. “What kind of person doesn’t have a cellphone in this century?” Finally, a freaking question.

“I threw it away to break the ties with my family. I didn’t want them to be able to contact me anymore.”

“I will have Gregory order you a company phone. It will not be yours. You will be bowering it in order for me to contact you.” He sounded like he was aggravated with me. It almost sounded sexy. What are you doing Sarah? That is your boss. You can’t think about your boss in that way. “This is your contract.” He held up a stack of papers. “You may read it to better understand, or you can do like most employees, just sign it right away. It is your choice.” From what I could see on the first page, it looked like a normal contract. I don’t have to read all of this.

I reached for the black ink pen that I had used before. “Not that one. Use this one.” Mr. Hollington handed over a crimson red pen with gold trimming. It was very beautiful. I used my thumb to click the pen, but what happened next shocked me. It cut my thumb and blood began to ooze out. Just like instinct a stuck my thumb in my mouth and began to suck on it to help subside the pain. “What is wrong Ms. Flowers?” The look on his face seemed as though he knew exactly what was wrong.

“I just scratched my thumb on the pen. That is all.” I looked at my thumb to see that it was barely bleeding anymore. I carefully picked the pen back up and signed on the dotted line. The ink was as red as my blood, which scared me a little bit. I glimpsed back down at my thumb to match the color, and it is a perfect match. That is just a coincidence. As soon as I wrote the last letter I felt like I had just signed my life away.

“Welcome, Ms. Flowers.” Chill bumps rose up on my neck.

Have I just made a mistake?

***Author’s Note***

What kind of business do you guys think Samuel Hollington owns? And do y’all think Donna and Cassie knows what exactly it is?

Love and Kisses

To my Misters and Misses