Hold on (Yoichi x ~Depressed~ Reader)

It was the same as usual. Waking up before dawn was a regular occurrence. One which left me to drown in simple thoughts, whirring round like a carousel, haunting me musically.

I'd come to the army, under the command of Guren Ichinose, hoping to forget my past. To forget how cruel humanity truly was, to take it out on the vampires who stole my childhood memories away from me and tainted them with their poisonous venom.

The room was silent, apart from the soft drone emanating from my weapon, a crossbow. My demon, Doku often sat with me in my dreams, silent, but comforting. She was a small demon, insignificant in the eyes of many. But to me she was the glue, keeping me stuck to this world. At only 4ft tall with ethereal features, green eyes, black hair and pointed elfin ears she was nothing to fear. Yet the power she harnessed in the weapon, flowing through me was enough. More than enough to push me into the moon demon company alongside Shiho, my only friend at the beginning.

They all welcomed me with open arms and grinning faces, no judgement, no malice, no cruelty.

Yoichi, I was drawn towards him instantly, like heavenly fire. We became close friends, laughing, joking whilst sat atop the abandoned towers which were now just skeletons. Our towers, where we were most lethal.

I trusted him, enough to tell him of my past. How my elder sister had been killed, not by vampires, but by a brute who abused her and how my mother had dropped infront of me, blood erupting from her lips before her body turned to ice and her eyes became glass. And how I felt nothing but regret. Regret and guilt for not being able to help, for not telling them how much I loved them, for surviving when they didn't.

                                    ~

It was a new day, and I hopped out of bed, stretching I listened to the little clicks that resonated down my spine, causing me to cringe inwardly. I huffed, plodding into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth before mechanically changing into my uniform. I place my (H/C) hair up underneath my cap, a small amount spilling out before strapping Doku to my back, the weight of the crossbow a comforting feeling. Checking my pockets for my pills I walk out of my room in a daydream, my smile plastered on for the day.

I greeted everyone with a that smile that didn't quite reach my eyes, but it was already busy on the corridors so a curt glance and nod of the head was all that was needed to send my greetings.

Today we were being sent out to a vampire camp located in an underground station, to scout the area and save any victims held by the bloodsuckers. I stood by Yoichi's side, chatting comfortably with him whilst Shinoa teased Yuu and Mitsuba, causing Shiho to tut and roll his eyes. I laughed on the way over, smiling at the playful banter around me. I couldn't understand how they were all so cheerful, so positive about the world crumbling around them. I looked up to them, no doubt about that!

The joy stilled as we reached the tunnel leading down to the camp, the stagnant air causing me to hold my breath. Out of instinct I pull Doku over my shoulder, holding the crossbow tightly in my grasp whilst the others armed themselves. The atmosphere of the area felt off as we travelled down in formation, it was too quiet. Unnaturally quiet.

That's when everything became a blur. White uniforms crashed down, shattering glass and catching up by surprise. I aim my bow, shooting on vampire, an unearthly scream leaving it's lips before vanishing into dust. I was flanked by Shinoa, protecting me. I looked around furiously firing arrows only to see Yoichi fighting off several vampires whilst Mitsuba lay on the ground injured, unconscious by the look of it.

I'd looked away for too long, distracted Shinoa destroyed a vampire a foot away from me, crying out in panic "(Y/N)! Focus!" I only nod in reply , calling upon Doku to fire her serpentine arrows towards a horde of vampires closing in on Yuu and Shiho. The snakes entwined themselves around the vampires, biting them before disappearing along with the vampires.

I turned, looking at Yoichi guarding Mitsuba and my heart held in my throat, thudding like a drum in my chest as I ran forward. Time slowed down and the fighting around me slowed down as a cloaked figure ran up behind Yoichi unleashing a screeching battle cry as I swung it's bloody sword down on him. But I was already moving, intercepting the attacker with my own body.

                                   ~

I heard cries, shouts, but the world was black. A throbbing pain enveloped my body, coming from my chest, spreading out like a hot blanket. I heard the thrashing of metal upon metal before it went silent. I opened my eyes, as best as I could, drowsily looking up to meet three worried faces, all frantically calling out. I didn't fear what may have come, I embraced it. I'd waited so long for this moment. I'd done it to save the one who showed me how to smile. Now I waited, waited to be part of the universe, a star watching over my friends.

A gloved hand pressed against my cheeks and I forced my eyes open again to see Yoichi, tears falling down him cheeks as he sobs, his mouth opening and closing, forming words that I couldn't hear. I smile, a genuine smile as I reach up, weakly cupping his cheek with my hand. I tried to speak, tell him how much he meant to me but only blood formed, trickling down my cheek onto the cool ground beneath me.

He held my hand, screaming something over to a figure that I couldn't see and then looked back down. I felt numb. Like a cloud. I closed my eyes once more, a soft sigh leaving my lips as my mind wandered, drifting away on the tide. But then I heard him. His angelic voice carrying the soft words. "Just hold on, I l-love you (Y/N)!"