12 Family Reunions Never Go Well

Jonas~~

The closer I get to the door Brydan tells me Erik is behind, the fuzzier my mind becomes. I could attribute it to it being three in the morning, but knowing I'm about to confront Erik has me wide awake. Three Veil are with Brydan and me. A few more are downstairs, and the rest I brought are outside.

When Brydan texted me that Erik was at his house, I was first in disbelief, but then that faded as I thought about the situation. Erik was already in Baltimore and the last place anyone would expect him to go is the home of my best friend. He probably thought he could threaten Brydan into keeping quiet.

Brydan places his hand on the bedroom door handle, and my Veil raise their guns. He opens the door.

Erik stands in the middle of the room, his arms crossed and feet firmly planted. A young woman has herself tucked away in the corner. She has red hair like the woman from the pictures. She's the one he helped.

"Erik," I start on the side of caution, "it's so good to see you."

Erik isn't looking at me. But at Brydan. "You. How could you? After what I did for you?" Erik moves toward us. I push Brydan behind me while the woman springs into action, putting herself in front of Erik, trying to push him back.

"It's your own fault," I say. My mind feels like it's in a haze. Focusing takes a great deal of effort.

"Stay out of this," Erik says, and I think it's directed to both the woman and me.

I shake my head. "Did you really think he'd choose you over me?"

Brydan places a hand on my shoulder. "Erik, I'm sorry, but he's my best friend."

Erik pushes the woman to the side. "I saved you," he says to Brydan.

"I'm sorry."

I try to shove down the anger that's brewing in me. My cousin tried to use my best friend against me after I've tried to be understanding after what happened with Andrew. "It's time to come home."

"No."

"You cannot miss your ceremony."

"I'm sure it will be a fascinating ceremony without me present."

My shoulders want to sag, but I keep my posture stiff. "I let you go. I let you have your break. I said eight days, Erik. This is how you pay me back?"

"I'd rather Expire than become Tresais."

I hope he doesn't see me wince. I care about him. That he would even say he'd rather die than be my Tresais is a punch to the gut. No, make that a stab. "Dramatic much?" I step toward him. "You're coming with me. I have enough Veil with me that you won't be able to escape like earlier."

With that said, I turn my attention to the woman. A bandage is wrapped over her Expiration Date like Erik's and mine. Erik's is wrapped out of shame, and mine is because it's required of me. As Preeminence, it's strategic that only myself and my parents know my Expiration Date. Heaven forbid, another country finds out the Preeminence's Expiration Date and attacks on that day.

She wears red boxers and an oversized t-shirt that I've seen before which makes me turn to Brydan and ask, "Your clothes?"

He nods.

I look back, and her eyes meet mine. A sharp pain runs through my head. She grabs onto her own.

No. I know what that pain means. The truth glares at me all the way to my core. She's Expired.

The pain fades, but the haze doesn't. Erik can't be allowed to bring her to the Estate. Her secret will be discovered, and she'll be killed, and I do not want one of my first actions as Preeminence to be killing a woman or anyone for that matter. I've killed before: a few rebels when they attacked my home, but killing her would be in cold blood. As much as I should have it in me as Preeminence, I don't think I do. No, I know I don't.

"Who are you?" I ask.

Her chest heaves as she looks at me again, but there's not another headache. "A friend of Erik's, Preeminence."

"Your name?"

She hesitates, and I don't blame her for not wanting me to know.

"Her name's Iris, Jonas." Brydan ducks his head. "Her last name is Levine."

"How do you know my cousin?" I ask Iris.

Erik moves toward her. "That's enough. There's no need to interrogate her."

Iris holds out her hand. "Let me speak. Please."

"You're the woman from the picture," I say. I want to know Erik's plans for her.

"What picture?" Erik, Iris, and Brydan all ask at the same time.

I see now that Erik didn't simply save her from harm. He saved her life, and he must know that. They're not friends then. She's a weapon, and if they're allowed to stay together, he'll use her against us.

I clasp my hands behind my back. "You are going to be at dinner this evening, Erik." I allow my gaze to drift over Iris briefly. "She will not be."

Erik lurches forward, but Iris grabs onto him. "You can't arrest her for being friends with me," he says. And there he goes jumping to conclusions as usual.

"What picture?" Iris asks, still hung up on my statement.

"My Veil will follow you. Take her home. Drop her off on the side of the road. Whatever it is that works. You will be at dinner tonight, Erik, and dressed in something more appropriate than Brydan's nightwear. Now go."

Erik doesn't move. "Why can't she be there?"

"She doesn't belong around the Society. Go."

Grabbing onto her arm, Erik drags Iris past us. She struggles not to fall.

Without bothering to turn toward them, I say, "And do put your plate back on your car."