A Mad Hunt

__King Thranduil's Point of Veiw__

The door clicked shut as the injured Captain left. I probably should have asked someone else to see to it, but Thaladir cared more about my son than any other captain in my command. I sank back down. How could this have happened? I wondered about the strange elf he had seen the night before. Not many elves have golden hair in this part of the world. It couldn't be... No, that wouldn't be possible. My oldest son was killed years ago. It couldn't have been him.

The mere idea of Calithilon suffering to the point where he was pushed into attacking a village made me ill. The old pain of his and his mother's lose wrenched my chest and I hung my head as the tears came. I couldn't stand to lose my youngest as well.

I pushed my chair back, standing. I had to look for him myself. I made the mistake of waiting once and I didn't plan not making it again. I opened the door only to find Barhador. He stepped back when he saw me.

"I was just about to see where you were, my lord," he said. "People are asking where you are."

"Legolas is missing," I told him as I pushed passes him. "I'm going to find him."

"But my lord!" he exclaimed, trailing behind me. "You are needed here!"

My fists clenched and I stopped. Anger ignited in my chest and I spun around. He jumped back. "Not as much as he needs me out there. I won't sit back the way I did last time. He's missing and is likely more injured than he was. I'm sorry, but I'm placing him, the prince who has sacrificed his very spirit for everyone in this place, above the petty issues of the kingdom."

And with that, I stormed off. No one was going to tell me signing papers and listening to the petty arguments of trade routes was more important than my son. I made straight of the stables, ignoring the odd looks from those I passed.

I reached it and my elk was already there as if she knew I would need her. I bridled her as quickly as possible, grabbed a provision pack, and set out, heading straight of the village Thaladir said had been attacked. I had to fine him.

Night slowly fell with no sign. The dark of the trees pressed against my fea and I wondered once again how my son was able to handle it. It was suffocating. Still, I pressed on. If he could fight and protect our kingdom out here, then I could hold myself together enough to find him.

I rode through the night, hoping I could reach the village within a day or two. I would start there and find the place Thaladir had described the tracks beginning.

Morning came and I slid off the elk's back, allowing her to walk beside me to give her a rest. As much as I wanted to arrive, I knew better than to push the animal too far. The day passed slowly, each minute reminding me of the time I was too late. Not a sound reached my ears outside of the stiff rattling of the dead branches. It ran shivers up my spine, despite the sun's rays.

Finally, I pulled the elk to a halt beside me and pulled out the pack I pulled out of the stables when I left. It was an emergency pack, with preserved food as well as bandages and some dried herbs, prepared to sit in the stable in case someone needed to offer aid without much time to prepare. It wasn't much, but it was something.

I pulled out the small blanket and some jerky, settling myself on the ground for now. The trees weren't healthy here and I didn't feel safe in these branches. When did it get so caliginous out here? I pulled the blanket around my shoulders and my elk came and laid down beside me. I looked around, wondering if Legolas was seeing much the same things I was. I hoped not. The thought of him being in the forest by himself, injured and likely weaponless made me more anxious to find him.

I tried to push the image from my mind and closed my eyes. There was nothing I could do until morning. I let my mind drift, trying to find something that resembled rest to pass the night. I tossed and turned on the ground. Nightmares of my wife's body, mutilated, bloodied and torn, plagued my mind and I woke with a cry, pushing myself back against a tree. My lungs heaved as I took in my surroundings, slowly piecing together where I was.