Chapter Eleven

The video is totally optional! I love this piano song very much and I think it fits at least some of the chapter

Chapter Eleven

Even after a night of sleep, you didn't feel any less uneasy about yesterday's events. You didn't want to be mad at Suki, she was your friend. You also didn't want to face anyone. It felt like her weird words and her kiss were stuck in your head on repeat, and if you saw anyone the words would spill from you. I don't want to stir up trouble, you thought. It would be better to wait until she speaks to me.

You wanted to imagine that it was all some misunderstanding, that she didn't mean to force herself on you. You didn't like to be hurt. On earth, when you were living, you had experienced betrayals of trust, and it stung every time. Maybe you weren't as good at judging character as you thought. You thought Suki was kind and sweet, but you've been wrong before, and I'll probably be wrong again, you thought glumly. It's possible that you were too trusting. You didn't want to always be on guard; it would be much better to love fully and live carefreely.

You shook your head as if you could erase all the thoughts from your head. I think too much. You sat in anticipation, both waiting and dreading for someone to knock on your door. Maybe you should seek someone out, but who? Before you could mentally sort through the occupants of this Hellish house, someone actually knocked on your door. You quickly jumped up and turned the knob.

"Suki," was all you could manage to say. The words were lodged in your throat like rocks.

"I, Can I," She seemed to be as nervous as you were as she stumbled over her words. "I know I hardly have the right, but can I come in? I want to talk." For a moment you just stared. Part of your brain was screaming the audacity! But you conceded and allowed her entry. She awkwardly walked in and sat in one of the chairs while you sat on the edge of your bed.

"What did you want to say?" You managed to piece together a sentence, but you couldn't meet her gaze.

"I wanted to say," She began but then choked on her words. "I wanted to say that I'm sorry for what I did yesterday. I'm not sure what came over me, and honestly, I have no excuse. I hate what I did, and I hate how I must have made you feel." She paused, and you said nothing. You wanted to express the relief you felt, she apologized, I'm allowed to forgive her now, right?

When you didn't respond, she continued, "'If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than it was because he was he, and I was I...' Michel de Montaigne said that." For the first time, your eyes met her watery ones. You felt like crying yourself. "It's how I feel, (y/n), if I can defend myself. You don't have to reply, but hear me out?" She begged. You nodded.

"When I was... alive, I was constantly thinking about the end of my life, even though I was so young. I was scared at the idea of leaving the world behind, of leaving my family, my friends, and everything I've worked for in my life, but that wasn't even what scared me most. I was really most afraid of dying alone, and after all that worrying, that was exactly what I did. I arrived here, in this house, with no one to miss.

You aren't just someone to fill a hole in my heart, though, although you do it well. I knew in life that even though you were lonely you had to be careful. You have to be patient, you have to accept that sometimes you'll be alone," her voice cracked, "but I met you and something about you, (y/n), something about you makes everything that hurts go away. I can't really explain it, but I think you and I fit together. I'm not playing. It would be dreadful for you to not know. I like you so much that I can't bear to have you unaware of it. I got too excited, and I'm sorry. I know it was wrong." She maintained eye contact with you, and although she wanted to cross the room and hold you in her arms, she knew she had to hold back.