33. "About time, don't you think?"

There was always something so fascinating about a fresh start. A blank piece of paper. A clear canvas. That's what it felt like when Damian and I finally got to our house that afternoon. A fresh start. The house was perfect. It was everything I thought it would be though I know that Damian was who made the house complete. It wasn't the bedrooms or the beautiful kitchen or the yard on the back. It was us. We made this home. Soon, Alexis would complete us.

"I'm so sorry about your mother," I said to him after we walked around the house. He had left the baby's room empty for me which I appreciated. I couldn't wait to go buy furniture and other things for it but I felt like I needed to say something about what had happened that morning.

"It's sad but she brought that upon herself," Damian said quietly. I could tell he was upset. I wasn't sure if he was angry at Marianne or Aaron or the boyfriend-maybe he was angry at everyone...including me.

"I meant I'm sorry I didn't tell you that I had seen her with someone."

He looked at me. "It's okay. It turned out to be for the best, didn't it?"

"I guess it did."

"I really do hope she does change and that it's not just a phase."

"Me too." I looked up at him. "Why were you so mad at Aaron? Because he beat that guy up?"

Damian chuckled softly. "Honestly? I'm kind of pissed that he has a police record now."

I laughed. "Out of all the things!"

He laughed with me then smiled. "Though I am kind of jealous that he got to beat that-man up. I know my mom is no angel but what he did to her-" he clenched his jaw then shook his head. "I'm glad I wasn't here or I might have gotten in trouble myself." He sighed away his frustration then he kissed the top of my head. "Come on, let's go. We have a lot of things to do."

We spent the rest of the day in stores buying things for the house. The only reason we stopped was because we couldn't fit anything in the car anymore so we went home. Damian refused to let me carry anything into the house so while he unloaded the car, I talked with Alexa on the phone.

She was ecstatic when I told her the baby's name. She sounded happy over there. Then again, she did tell me she had met someone so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. My little sister was in love. Already. At least according to her. He sounded like a nice guy though of course, she would only tell me the good things about him. I was glad she was happy though. She was experiencing love and living on campus in an exciting city. I couldn't wait to see her in December.

Damian and I spent the rest of the week settling into the house. We moved furniture here and there...okay, Damian moved it. Poor him. He was so patient with me. Eventually, we were finally settled in. I couldn't stop looking around the house, admiring everything. It truly was a dream come true. This was it. This was where our children would grow up in. This was where Damian and I would grow old together.

On Monday morning, Damian went back to work and I realized then that I had nothing to do. I wasn't working and frankly, there was no point in looking for a job right now. The baby was going to be here in about four months. I probably won't work until she was at least 6 months old. Even then, I knew I wasn't going to want to leave her with strangers so young. Maybe until she was one. I knew I didn't have to work. Damian's salary was more than enough and I probably won't work for a while but eventually, I would want to do something.
At least a part time. I refused to be useless for the rest of my life.

"You could help me administer the clinic," Damian said that evening when I told him about this.

We were sitting on the wooden porch swing we had put outside on the backyard. It was a beautiful night. The weather was perfect. There was no city noise. Just the faint noise of a cricket close by. We were facing the backyard. We actually had a cute little tree and I planned on planting other plants later. Damian had his arm tight around my shoulders. I put my arm around his waist.

"Administer the clinic? You think I could do that?"

"Of course," he said. "You have your degree and experience."

"Right," I said slowly. "But doesn't Karen help you with that?" I didn't want to seem rude but I didn't think I could work with Karen.

"Karen actually quit today," Damian said quietly.

I looked up at him. "She did?"

He nodded. "She did. As soon as I got there, she said she needed to speak with me. She said she was happy for me and you and that it was best for everyone if she left."

"Wow." I was surprised.

"I know. I'll always be grateful to her because she was such a big help to me...but I'm glad she was the one who chose to leave or else I would have done it."

I bit my lip. "I'm sorry."

He smiled. "Don't be. She was right. You were right. We're all better off this way." He paused. "I think I'm going to hire my cousin Jackson full time. I want to train him so he can take over the clinic when I need him to. I'm going to try to spend as much time as I can at home now, especially with this baby coming."

I smiled at him then reached out and kissed him slowly. "It's so crazy how everything is coming together."

"I know." He half smiled. "About time, don't you think?"

"Yes, I think."

He chuckled then placed his hand on my cheek. "I love you so much, Rebecca, this is just the beginning of a wonderful life, I promise you that."

He kissed me, as if sealing his promise with the kiss. I loved him. I loved this baby. I loved this life with him. I had no words to tell him that I felt exactly the same way so I just kissed him, hoping to make him feel how much I adored him and how thankful I was that he had forgiven me and taken me back. I thanked Aaron, Alexa, and the universe for bringing me back to him.

Damian didn't know it yet, but it was already a wonderful life by his side. It could only get better from here.