PALM WINE

This is my entry for the superhero challenge.

Africanscommunity

Kunle whistled as he flung his axe over his shoulders.

"Good morning Kunle," a villager greeted him.

"Morning to you too Aremu," he replied, tipping his wide brimmed straw hat at him. He was on his way to tap some palm wine that morning to make some money.

His wife kept on nagging him about how poor they were and how rich his neighbour who also happened to be his enemy since he could walk was.

Every morning she would criticise him and call him names that should never be spoken out loud. All because he choose to be a palm wine tapper.

"Must everybody be doctors, or lawyers, or engineers, palm wine tappers are just as important as the rest," he would reply his wife once she shouted at him.

"Kunle, elemu (palm wine tapper), how are you this morning," his fellow worker greeted him.

"Very fine oo, I have seen the perfect tree, I saw it on my way to check the trap if it had caught any bush meat," he replied.

"There is no such thing as the perfect palm tree, not since hundreds of years ago when my ancestors first settled here," Jide replied while proudly beating his chest.

"Well I did and I shall let you have a taste of the wine when I get back, for now, odabo." He said before excusing himself.

"This one is a mad one o," Jide replied with a pitying shake of his head before heading in the opposite direction, only mad people would go towards the edge of the evil forest in search of palmwine. "Ode ni indeed."

Kunle kept on walking when he heard a horn and with a cringe he realized that it was the rickshaw belonging to his enemy and pain in his hide.

"Kunle how are you?" The spawn of Satan greeted with a mean smile.

"I am fine oo, and you?" He replied with gritted teeth.

"I am okay, why don't you get into my rickshaw let me take you to work today," he said.

"Don't worry ife, I can get there on my own," he replied an kept on walking.

"But kunle, at this rate your short legs won't be able to reach your destination on time."

"And you have used all your brain cells to grow, that's why you cannot understand simple don't worry," Kunle snapped back.

"Ehn ehn, Mr cockroach are you smarter than me?"

"Giraffe, your stupidity surpasses all understanding,"

"At least I won't be mistaken for a child in the market square,"

"I hope you die in that your rickshaw."

"And we are both going to die together,"

"Strangling you is appealing right now."

"With your baby hand's, not a chance," he zoomed off sputtering smoke in Kunle's face.

"The gods are watching me now ooo, if I kill somebody, nobody should complain ooo," he said with anger while pointing at the sky. If he had power now, or was related to the king he would just order the death of that self absorbent bastard.