Compatibility Is For Lovers

Ryan groans the second he steps into the building. He puts in his headphones and turns on his IPod, blasting it too loud.

The first thing anyone can see upon entering the school building is a huge banner announcing a dumb fundraiser the Student Council are putting on.

The sign says the results are in on a mandatory compatibility test everyone took about a month ago. Something about having a date for Valentines day. Ryan rolls his eyes as he walks to his locker.

“So,” Spencer says leaning against the wall of lockers next to Ryan. “You gunna buy your results?” He asks. That’s how the school is getting money from their students, the only way to get your results is to buy them.

“I don’t care about a bunch of girls I’m compatible to.” Ryan replies as he pulls books out of his backpack and tosses them into his locker.

Spencer and Ryan begin to walk towards the library when Spencer says, “You know you can get results for your most compatible guys too, right?”

“Yeah but I really don’t want to be that guy. Nope I’m not gunna do it.” Ryan tells the younger teen as they turn a corner.

“But Valentine's is this weekend. You’ll be all alone.” Spencer continues, they enter the library and find their way to the table Jon and Brendon are sitting at.  

“Dude, I don’t care. I’m alone right now too, and I’m not wallowing in self pity and despair.” Ryan says as he takes a seat.

“Wow, really upbeat morning conversations going on.” Jon comments with a roll of his eyes.

Ryan ignores him. “And besides, Brendon’s alone too and he’s not going to look at the results. Right Brendon?” Ryan turns to the boy in question.

“Nah. Seems kinda lame. Ryan has a point, Spencer.” Brendon nods. Spencer rolls his eyes and Jon snorts.

“Oh big surprise, Brendon’s agreeing with Ryan.” Spencer mumbles, making Jon laugh.

“You know,” Brendon says crossing his arms. “Making fun of your friends isn’t a good way to keep them.”

“Yeah, well-” Spencer’s reply is cut off by the bell ringing. Everyone in the library rises, grabbing their stuff and shuffling out the door.

The four say goodbye as Spencer and Jon go in one direction, and Brendon and Ryan go in the other.

“Are you doing anything this weekend?” Brendon asks.

“Probably nothing. I work, like, all day tomorrow.” Ryan says hushed, the teacher has started reading the daily announcements from the front of the classroom.

“What about Sunday?” Brendon pulls out a notebook.

“You want to hang out on Valentine's day?” Ryan laughs a little, looking at Brendon.

“Oh c’mon, Ry. It’s not gay if we say ‘no homo’ afterwards.” The girl sitting in front of them turns around to give them a weird look. Brendon smiles at her, Ryan just stares down at his desk.

For the rest of the period Ryan ignores Brendon, pretending to listening to the teacher talk on about Macbeth. Out of the corner of his eye Ryan watches Brendon doodle on the side of his notebook. He draws a picture of a boy that looks suspiciously close Ryan.