Chapter 24: Bernardo

Myles groaned, his skin tinted a pale rose around his cheekbones and nose. He also glistened in sweat from laying under me. "There is no need to be ashamed about what we did. Everyone knows we're married and that we more than likely have sex. Or are you regretting what we've done?"

"I am an adult who feels no shame in having sex. What I don't want is someone hearing, it's something that is private. If I didn't want to have sex with you, I wouldn't have." He went into the bathroom to freshen himself. I was glad to hear he wasn't regretful as he joined him in the bathroom. We both threw on whatever our hands touched before walking out the bedroom.

I knew something serious had happened because both of our guards were in their nocturnal combat uniforms. "What's the situation?" Mileta turned her attention from the marks on Myles's neck to me. "Your highness, we obtained information about the location where the Muerte have fled to. We have a spy in a small village in the mountains approximately sixty-four kilometers north-northeast of us. The unit has already begun discrete evacuations of civilians in the surrounding area. That shouldn't take long, since there are just over a hundred registered citizens within a five-mile range. We have identified Kimberly Armor, also known as the Bomber, along with thirty-six other members of the terrorist organization."

"How grave is the threat?" It was weird hearing Myles use his deeper morning voice.

"There are only five members intelligence has identified as high level. The Bomber is at the top of that list. There is an Antarctic fugitive who can create seismic waves in the air and European triplets who use spatial magic to teleport within an unidentified range. The unit in the area is well stocked with suppressors, so the threat of them getting away is low. The overall level of danger for this operation is high, but we have some of our best soldiers there who have prepared for a scenario just like this one."

"Could this be a trap?" Myles had a concerned look on his face that made even me uneasy. "These soldiers have fought against the strongest of the North and South, most of this band of terrorist are stragglers who pose no real threat," Alejandro answered, renewing me of my confidence. Poking out my chest and cracking my neck, I looked at our guards, "Prepare them for my arrival. Have the lethal magic specialist ready to act as royal guards. I want all thirty-six of these fugitives eliminated as threats." Turning back to the bedroom, Myles grabbed me by the arm, "I thought we were going to capture them and send them to their homelands for punishment?"

"We agreed on that before they bombed guards and struck fear throughout our kingdom. There needs to be a swift message sent to anyone who thinks about doing something like they have done. Every kingdom needs to know that we are not ones to turn their nose up to. This kingdom has to show the world that we are not just some annex allowed to exist by the power of stronger nations. We have our own way of leading that prioritizes the safety of our citizens. We have to set a strong precedent." Myles turned to the guards and nodded, which led them to leave so we could talk in private.

"We should not be the judge, hurry, and executioners. This kingdom has laws we're bound to uphold. We are the leaders of this kingdom and should set the example of what is just." I looked at his determination but wasn't willing to walk away from what I knew to be right. "They have been playing judge, jury, and executioners for several hundred lives. These terrorists have escaped punishment countless times through bribes, escapes, and riots. We are talking about rapist, torturers, and those who kill for sport. The fact of the matter is that most of them will receive the punishment of death if we send them back. There is no point in endangering those who would relinquish them to their homelands in danger, waste our scarce resources, or focus anymore time on them."

I tried to keep my body language calm so I wouldn't come off threatening to him while trying to keep the passion in my voice. The memory of his fear when I confronted him in the gym played in my mind. We were building something, and I had no desire to move backwards. "I just don't believe we should do this. I also don't get why you would need to be there in person, you shouldn't put yourself in harm's way."