10.3 A Song To Your Heart

The Emperor is currently sitting on his throne. Often time, the emperor would be on his study checking documents about the empire, etc. Sometimes, he would be seen roaming around the palace especially to the garden where he will meditate to ease his stress. But most importantly, the emperor stays in the throne room whenever he has a decree to announce or he wanted to discuss some problems face to face with his subjects. This is like the in-door version of the daily morning court meetings.

Zhong Song and Lang Yuan with the little dragon quickly departed from the gazebo. They headed towards the throne room found on the middle most part of the whole palace. This is the point where all the direction meets. So while they are walking towards the throne room, a lot of servants are bowing and kowtowing to show their respect.

The officials who are also summoned to the throne room saw the Empress Candidate. One of them is Minister Lou, Lou MuLan's father. He and his subordinates cupped their hands with heads lowered to respect the figure. Minister Lou sneered inside cursing bad luck to the Empress Candidate, hoping that he will not win the final trial. He believed that it was only Lou MuLan who deserved the Empress position.

"Minister Lou? You are also summoned?" Zhong Song noticed that the Minister is also going towards the same direction. They are on the hundred stairs towards the throne hall.

As what he can recall, Minister Lou is never part of the army and only handles land reforms. This meeting for today is to deal with military and security problems not the landmasses. If there is anything else, the ministers who are responsible for the accounting and the business sect areas will not be called to attend. Only those personnel, like Zhong Song and General Gu are ordered to come.

"Great Scholar, I am not here for the meeting. Actually, I would like to request the emperor to let my daughter, Lan-er, to visit her mother at home. The lady received a few gifts from her cousin and would like to have her daughter to choose some, and of course, the mother misses her child."

Zhong Song only nodded understanding the explanation. After all, Minister Lou often requests the emperor to bring his child outside to meet its mother. The other concubines also do the same. They cannot take their daughters out from the palace without the emperor's permission so they have to request it personally.

Minister Lou keeps a worrisome look, and then shifted his eyes towards the only human on the realm. Lang Yuan noticed the old man's eyes, cupped his hands to greet the elder. JiDan tugged his sleeves after the short bow.

"Mother, you shouldn't bow before any man beside father. You have the higher position," JiDan bluntly said. Lang Yuan only heard this rule for the first time.

"Really?" But Lang Yuan does the same gestures to all the officials inside the court.

Aside from Zhong Song who forbids him from doing it, there's nothing wrong by just respecting the elders right? But what he didn't know why JiDan said those words is because he disliked this old man. A child's feeling towards another person is much more sensitive than the adults. He can sense bad things from this old man.

Minister Lou pretended to cough to cover his shame. "Great Scholar, we will head out first."

"It's okay, we are also coming," Zhong Song said. He first stepped up without waiting for the minister to reply. JiDan do not want to stay any longer so he dragged his mother up. 

The throne room still looks least crowded despite the number of people coming to the same place. Lang Yuan only attended the daily court meetings so he never knows what the throne room might look like. That is why he was excited to see what designs the inside room would look like. JiDan detected his mother's excitement so he swayed his hand holding Lang Yuan and skipped happily.