03. We're Not Engaged...

"Tina and I aren't talking," Queenie admitted as they ate, much more composed than her fiance who still acted as if he'd had one too many mugs of butterbeer.

"Why?" Newt asked as Myra was busy prying Noctis off of the table leg.

"Oh well, you know," Queenie began, "she found out about Jacob and I seeing each other and she didn't like it, 'cause of the "law"," she mimed quotation marks with the word, "Not allowed to date no-majs, not allowed to marry them. Blah, blah, blah. Well, she was all in a tizzy anyway, 'cause of you."

"Me?"

"Him?"

Myra and Newt looked at each other, equally surprised. Noctis just stole a carrot.

"Yeah, you, Newt," Queenie replied, "I'm really surprised you're even here Myra, considering what was in Spellbound. Here-I brought it for you-"

With a flick of her wand, a magazine zoomed from her suitcase: Spellbound: Celebrity Secrets and Spell Tips of the Stars. Myra blinked at the cover which had not only Newt, but also a very unrealistic grinning niffler. But what she really honed in on was the subtitle in the corner of the page: BEAST TAMER NEWT TO WED!

"We're not engaged..." Myra said slowly, looking to Newt, brows furrowed in confusion.

Queenie grimaced a bit before opening the magazine to a page with a picture from Newt's book launch before reading aloud, "Newt Scamander with fiancee, Leta Lestrange; brother, Theseus; wandmaker, Myra Kegley; and unknown woman."

"No," Newt was quick to correct, "Theseus is marrying Leta, not me."

"Oh!" Queenie beamed a bit before her face fell, "Oh dear... well, see, Teen read that, and she got in a bit of a huff. You seeming to have dumped Myra and gotten engaged real quick."

Myra pulled Noctis off the table as silence fell over the group, nearly missing the way that Jacob tried to drink the salt shaker. Her eyes narrowed glancing at Viride who had moved away from Credence and was watching Jacob and Queenie keenly. She huffed under her breath, only for Viride to confirm her fears: Jacob smelled of magic and he was most definitely under an enchantment.

Queenie's attempts to cover had now extended to reading their minds as she quickly blurted out: "What? I have not."

"Will you stop reading my mind?" Newt asked flippantly, his gaze intense though he was doing a great job of hiding it with his posture.

"So you and Queenie are getting married, Jacob?" Myra asked slowly as Jacob near poured his drink all over his ear.

"I'm marrying Jacob!" He cheered drunkenly.

"Oh, that is an outrageous accusation. Look at him. He's just happy. He's so happy!"

Newt drew his wand, "Then you won't mind if I-"

"Please don't!" Queenie jumped up, putting herself in between her fiance, who might not actually be her fiance, and the wizard.

"Queenie, you've got nothing to fear if he wants to get married. We can just lift the enchantment and he can tell us himself," Myra reassured, beginning to raise her own wand, checking behind her only to see Credence frozen, head bent in an all too familiar way.

With a sharp huff, the blonde was ushering her son out of the room, ears tuned to his breathing, ragged and uneven, as if he were reminding himself to breath at all. Flicking her wand, she blocked out all of the sound from the upstairs room, settling Credence down on one of the steps.

"Do you want to talk?" Myra asked softly, keeping one hand in contact with him at all times.

He shook his head after a moment, the movement stiff. So they just sat, everything quiet but for the sounds of breathing and the milling of creatures. 

The way I kind of formulate this scene in my head, I knew it would probably get to Credence (my poor baby, I'm sorry), especially with his history of both abuse (yelling/talking over one another/too many voices) and manipulation via Grindelwald (spelling Jacob). So, I'm sorry, but he did have an anxiety attack (some of the features of which I took from my own experiences as someone with some pretty severe anxiety). Anyway.... my stint into Moffattness aside (are you proud of me @Writersblock039?)... how was everyone's days? I hope you all have a fantastic weekend, and I'll see you all again on Monday with chapter four.
~ Aria