III

"Don't be fooled, I got you wrapped upIn the arms of an animalGot you thinking that I'm all innocentBut wait 'til I get you homeIf you don't, baby, you should knowI'm the one who's in control"

In the arms of an animal
Got you thinking that I'm all innocent
But wait 'til I get you home
If you don't, baby, you should know
I'm the one who's in control"

***

'I will never leave her behind.'

Zari glanced at Niklaus, 'That could've sounded very romantic if you hadn't mentioned her blood and the hybrid army before.'

'Let's say I do leave her here, under your protection. What then? How long before one of you turns her into a vampire? Or worse. How long before she dies, caught between your feuding? You see, each one of you truly believes, that you're the one that can protect her. And that is simply a delusion. Gentlemen... the worst thing for Elena Gilbert is... the two of you.'

Damon looked down, 'I'm going to get some air.'

He left the room and Elijah glanced at Zari, 'You're not going to comfort your friend?'

Zari frowned and looked at her glass of wine, 'Not that good with comforting. I've only had to comfort Alaric a couple of times, we just both get very drunk. Probably not one of my finest ideas, comforting an alcoholic with alcohol.'

Elijah shot her a smile, shaking his head and leaving the table to get Damon.

***

'Matt Donovan?' Damon asked when he had returned, 'Really?'

'Yeah, why not? They'll marry, live a long and fruitful life and pop out the perfect family.'

'And continue the Petrova bloodline,' Stefan finished.

Zari played with her knife and fork, 'You know, it's really endearing to hear the both of you play fortune teller, but you're not very good at it. And the way you just used fruitful is really grossing me out.'

'Tell us then, what would happen if Stefan and Damon left Elena Gilbert?' Niklaus asked.

Zari sighed, 'Well she certainly won't marry Matt Donovan.'

'She liked him before,' Niklaus argued.

'She liked him, she didn't love him. She's had a taste of what passion and love is, she's not going to settle back into the comfort zone. She felt the excitement of stepping out of it, no way she's going back.'

'See, Elena won't pop out such a perfect family after all,' Stefan said.

'Hey! I wasn't finished yet! Neither is she never going to fall in love again! She's obsessed with the both of you, but that girl is strong, she's been through hell. No way she'll let a heartbreak spoil her life. She might have kids, she might not. We can't tell the bloody future.'

'I don't care!' Niklaus roared, 'Damon, Stefan... Do we have a deal?'

Stefan stepped forward and Niklaus held out his hand, Zari's eyes widened, 'You can't do that! She has rights! She can decide her own life.'

Stefan shook Niklaus's hand, 'Nice try, Klaus. No deal.'

Niklaus growled and flipped his hand, breaking his bones and sticking it into the fire. Damon rushed towards him, but Elijah pinned him to the wall by his throat. Zari silently cursed at herself for not bringing her weapons, but Damon had already decided to get the coffin. Even though, in no time they returned, without the coffin.

'Elijah. Why haven't you left?' Niklaus asked.

'Well, where are our manners, brother? You forgot dessert.'

And for a second there was genuine excitement in Zari's eyes, until Elijah revealed the plate with two daggers on them.

'What have you done?' Niklaus yelled.

'See, I've learned not to trust your vulgar promises, Niklaus. We're doing this on my terms now.'

Zari bit her lip as she watched Elijah stand there with power and determination, out of sudden another guy walked into the room.

'Kol,' Niklaus sighed as he took a step back.

'Long time, brother.'

The next guy vamp sped into the room and pierced a dagger through Niklaus's hand. Rebekah grabbed the other one and stabbed him in his stomach. Kol grabbed Niklaus's arms and made sure he couldn't move.

'You can leave now,' Elijah told his guests, 'this is family business.'

***

'And I am here to forgive you. I want us all to be a family again,' Esther told her children.

Rebekah smiled and glanced at her friend, 'Zari! You're here!?'

Zari looked up from her hands and glanced at Elijah, 'Well, I was promised dessert.'

Elijah smirked, 'Of course, my apologies.'

'And who might you be?' Esther asked as she held out her hand, but when Zari shook it Esther froze.

Zari awkwardly pulled back her hand, 'I'm Zari, Rebekah's friend. I was invited for dinner tonight to negotiate on the doppelgängers behalf.'

Esther was about to reply when Zari's phone rang, 'I'm sorry, excuse me.'

'Zari! Damon gave me your number. It's Elena, I have to tell you something. Alaric... he's been stabbed and he's dead, for now, he has this special ring. He'll come back to life, but he's been stabbed.'

Zari's phone slid from her hands and it crashed on the ground, she grabbed it from the floor and her face went stone cold

Zari's phone slid from her hands and it crashed on the ground, she grabbed it from the floor and her face went stone cold. 'I have to go,' she said as she grabbed her coat and rushed out.