48-He Just Cares Too Damn Much

Play 'This Town' by Niall Horan for this chapter
~*~*~

Chapter 48: He Just Cares Too Damn Much

*Max's POV*

My heart was hammering in my rib cage as I sped down the motorway, holding my steering wheel in a vice grip. I could feel my heavy breaths as I checked my phone, waiting for the cars in front of me to move.

Luckily, she has location turned on on her phone so I know where she is. Well, not exactly. The last location available is from a little under twenty minutes ago but it's my best bet.

I tap my thigh impatiently, willing the cars in front of me to move.

Her voice flashes through my mind. Her scream echoes in my ears. I've never heard her sound so terrified but our phone call cut off before I could find out what happened.

I'm not an idiot. I think it's pretty obvious that she got into an accident but every fibre of my being is praying that that's not the case.

It can't be true.

By the time I reach the little blue dot on my map, the area is already littered with police cars and an ambulance and it feels like time is slowing down.

My mind can't comprehend what's happening around me. The loud sirens blaring in my ears barely affect me. All I can do is stare as I see her body lying unconscious on a stretcher that's being wheeled to the ambulance.

Finally snapping out of my trance at the sight of her bruised body, I run to her as fast as humanly possible, ignoring all the people around me, my sole focus on her.

"What happened?" I ask the paramedic closest to me who's getting into the back of the ambulance.

"Got hit by a lorry while riding her motorcycle," he says with a solemn shake of his head and I think I can feel the pounding of my heart in my throat.

"You know her?" He asks, a look of understanding in his calming brown eyes.

All I can do is nod, unable to move my mouth.

"Want to come with us?" He asks very softly.

Again, I nod, this time as a wordless thank you.

As soon as I'm inside we speed off in the direction of the hospital. I take this as my chance to finally take in her state fully and I wince as I do.

Her face is bruised and scratched as is the rest of her exposed flesh. There are rips in her clothing, blood leaking through the tares. Her body is still and lifeless as she lays there like a statue, her chest not even moving up and down.

They've fixed her up as best as they can in the cramped space and after a few minutes, I'm told I can go up to her which I do gladly.

I squeeze her small, cold hand in my much larger and warmer one and close my eyes shut, taking in shallow breaths as I ready myself to talk to her in a low tone, refusing to let any tears fall.

Stay strong, Max, for her.

"Ari," I start in a mere whisper. "Please be alright. We both know I'm shit with words but I need you to be okay. You're my everything, Ari, and I don't know what I'd ever do without you. You have to pull through and you have to stay strong for me."

I feel a single tear roll down my cheek but I pay it no attention as I continue to pour my heart out to her, not caring if she can't hear me because I won't be able to live myself if I never tell her the truth.