42. Love and loneliness.

It's been so long but I'm back for good. Happy reading folks!

Third person POV :

Espona watched as her mate Versace went about their little shack they called home, throwing around and smashing things. She only hoped and prayed that he wouldn't direct his anger on her and would be satisfied with the things in their room. But today wasn't her lucky day as he turned his hatred filled gaze on her as he was done with the things they had. He walked towards her and held her in a chokehold not enough to cut off her air but enough to hurt.

"You had one job, ONE JOB, you stupid little bitch and that was to make sure that that whore could not escape. But what do you do? You lead the half-blood freak right to her." He screamed pulling her closer. The scent of cheap alcohol hit her right in her nose and she whimpered.

"But Versace I-"

"Not one word. Do you know how hard I worked to get into Jordan's good books? Only for a low-life like you to mess it up." He raged on, interrupting her.

It hurt. His words pierced deep and made her wolf cry out and want to come out and apologize. But she somehow managed to push her back in. He was not in his right mind. The alcohol had messed up his thinking and his anger was blinding him. He loved her. He was her mate. He HAD to love her. Right?

"I'm sorry Versace. I'll do anything you want. Just don't hate me." She begged. He was the only person she had as she had left everyone in her old life behind. Without him, she'd be all alone. The one thing she never wanted to feel. Loneliness.

"Anything?" He questioned, slightly releasing the grip he had on her neck.

She only nodded, not trusting her shaky voice. The pure maliciousness in his eyes made her shiver.

"Good. That's what I like to hear." He smiled at her, but unlike his other smiles, this didn't make her feel warm all over. Instead she felt dread climbing up her mind, instantly regretting her promise.

He released her and then walked over to the other side of the room where a lot of photos were hung up on a dartboard. He picked up one of the darts lying on the table and then walked over to her side.

"Can you tell me one thing that makes a wolf vulnerable and crazy, Espona?" He asked her, not taking his eyes off the dartboard.

She answers immediately without much thought. "Their mates. The loss of a mate weakens the wolf and makes the human lose their sanity. They are a shell of themselves and they are almost as good as dead. Many wolves consider taking their own lives as they're unable to handle the loss."

"Yes. Very good, little mate. Now who are we going after again?"

Espona stills, hating his direction of thoughts. He wouldn't, would he?

"Ionora Zendale." She replies after a small pause. But a pause big enough that her mate picks up on her hesitation and smiles. Then without a warning, he aims the dart and throws it at the dartboard.

"You know what you must do, don't you little mate?" This time, the evilness in his tone makes her take a step back. She nods at him, robotically. Satisfied with his response, Versace leaves the room leaving his mate staring at the dart which was now on the dartboard. She walks over and pulls the dart out, catching the picture which falls. Or at least half of the picture remaining. Then, she pulls out her wallet and takes out a crumpled and folded piece of paper, opening it and setting both the pieces over the table. Joining both the pieces she looks at what were once a young girl and a boy smiling happily at the camera.

As a single tear runs down her cheeks and falls on his side of the picture, she chokes in a sob and wipes away the wetness on the paper.

"I'm so sorry Zayden. I hope you understand why I need to do this."

And with those final words she rips his side of the picture into tiny little bits and throws them in the fireplace. Watching the flames devour the bits of paper, she wipes away any indication of emotion on her face and walks out of the room like nothing happened. After all, her mom had given her the most important lesson in life. She had to stay strong. She needed to stay strong no matter what.

------------

And so the plot thickens.

Please do not forget to vote and comment if you liked what you read. It feels like just yesterday when the book was at 1000 reads and now it's at 71000. I still pinch myself sometimes as I can't believe it. So thank you to everyone who has contributed in one way or another. ❤

Edited - 15/01/2019