sixteen

The Zouwu enclosure in Newt's case was a wild Chinese habitat

The Zouwu enclosure in Newt's case was a wild Chinese habitat. Newt was curled up in a dense undergrowth. The Zouwu picked him up and dangled him from a claw. Still dangling from the claw, Newt coaxed her until he reached her harness and removed it. The chains lit up and burst. The Zouwu was finally freed from her chains.

"You're all right," Newt whispered.

Newt climbed out of his case shortly after that. Prior to that, they all successfully Apparated into Nicolas Flamel's house without any trouble.

"She's responded well to the Dittany. She was born to run, you see. I think she's just lacking in confidence," Newt explained.

Trinity pinched Newt's arm. "Don't you ever do that again! You had me so worried! If you ever do that again, I'll kill you."

He scratched the back of his neck nervously as Pickett poked out to see what the commotion was about.

"I'm sorry, Trinity, but when I see a creature - "

"I know, Newt," she whispered. "But I hate it when you endanger yourself. You're a giver, not a taker. Some people will take advantage of that."

He sighed, nodding. "So I've heard," he whispered. "Those creatures would never do that. All they need is a little bit of love."

His eyes twinkled magnificently. Trinity's shoulders slumped in defeat. He was too precious and oblivious to the word, no matter how smart he was. Trinity wasn't the smartest person ever, but she knew how harsh people could be. Muggles - Newt taught her - were evil. Whenever a Muggle saw a creature like Trinity in their true form, they would try to capture it. Newt vowed to never let anything or anyone hurt her.

"Have you got anything in your case that might help revive this man? I need to question him. I think he knows who Credence really is. The scars on his hand suggest an unbreakable vow," Tina explained.

Newt and Tina examined the unconscious Kama. The two were huddled close to each other. It made Trinity uncomfortable, jealous, and territorial. If it was another woman, Trinity wouldn't care as much. She never minded with Bunty or Queenie.

Newt frisked his wand out as his other hand opened up Kama's eye. "Lumos."

Newt and Tina stared into Kama's eye. There was a tiny flicker of a swiftly withdrawn tentacle. Trinity was peering over their shoulders. She wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Tina gasped. "What was that?"

"There must be a water dragon in the sewer. They carry these parasites, you see. They... Jacob?" Newt called out.

"Yeah?"

"In my case, in the pocket there, you'll find a pair of tweezers."

"Tweezers?" Jacob questioned, not sure he heard correctly.

Newt nodded as he turned around to look at the chubby man. "They're thin and pointy - "

"Thin, little pointy things," Tina clarified.

Jacob sighed. "Yes, I know what tweezers are."

Newt turned back to Kama as Jacob handed him the tweezers. "You might not want to watch."

"I'll manage," Tina responded.

Newt succeeded in catching and pulling at the tentacle in Kama's eye. "Come on. You're all right," he coaxed. "Jacob, will you take that for me?"

He extracted something like a spindly, waterborne spider, which he handed to Jacob. The parasite wiggled around as Jacob looked at it, appalled and ready to faint. Trinity scrunched up her nose in disgust as she and Jacob stared at it.

"Ew! Calamari," Jacob muttered.

"Calamari does not look like that," Trinity whispered. "Trust me."

Kama started muttering, but he was still unconscious. "I must kill him..."

Tina immediately perked up. "Who? Credence? Who - ?"

"It may take him a few hours to recover. The parasite's poison is quite strong," Newt advised.

"I'll have to go to the Ministry with what I've got," she declared. "It was nice to see you again, Mr. Scamander."

She strode from the room, leaving Flamel's house. The trio stared after the workaholic.

"Where Tina goes, we'll find our answers. This is what Dumbledore wants, I'm sure... I hope," Newt muttered.

"Do we follow her, then?" Trinity asked.

"You should really stay here with Jacob, sweetheart," Newt advised.

She frowned and glanced at an empty jar on the table beside her. "I won't hesitate to throw things at you, Newt. I am coming with you. I'm not leaving you."

Newt sighed.

"Don't you sigh at me."

Newt pursed his lips, glancing between Trinity and the empty jar she previously looked at. "Okay, but...no fighting with Tina."

Trinity rolled her eyes. "There's never been fighting. Only insults."