Chapter Twenty Five - Collide

Three hours later, Kat and Saff had ten full bags of clothes, each.

"I'm exhausted." Saff groaned as she threw her purchases into the back of the truck.

Kat laughed, desperate for a nap too.

She climbed into the drivers seat, strapping her seat belt on. Saff mirrored her actions on the passenger side.

As Kat pulled the car out of the space, she felt a warmth spread across her mark. She raised a hand to feel it as it tingled.

"Something wrong?" Saff looked at her movement, worried.

"I don't think so, it's a nice feeling." Kat frowned.

Saff pulled Kat's hair away from her neck.

"Woah."

"Woah?"

"It's healing." Saff breathed, "And it's... beautiful."

"What does it look like?" Kat kept her eyes on the road, itching to take a look in the mirror.

"It's a bright silvery circle, it looks like the moon. Only it has a a border, a circle going around the outside. It's-"

"Gold?"

"Yes! How did you know?"

"Educated guess."

"Probably because of Cal's royal ancestry." Saff said, knowingly.

"Probably." Kat smiled at Saff.

All it took was that one moment, the two women looking at each other, smiling. Bonding over their blooming friendship. Kat was happy, for that one moment.

Then the truck hit. Head on. Kat and Saff were suddenly upside down, flying through the air, broken glass slashing their faces. Kat's head cracked the side of the door as the airbags deployed. Kat held onto Saff as they crashed onto the road. Their limbs loose, like rag-dolls, the impact slamming their bodies around as the car screeched to a stop. Their vehicle was flipped, they hung from their seat belts, blood rushing to their heads. Kat breathed heavily, Saff was passed out.

"Saff." Kat shook her, whispering furiously.

"Come on, Saff. Please wake up." Kat heard footsteps. She took a deep breath.

Wolves.

Four of them.

Kat unclasped her seat belt, lowering herself slowly onto the shattered windshield. The earth lurched beneath her, her neck felt broken. She swallowed the vomit that rose in her mouth.

"Saff?" Kat crouched beneath her friend.

"Kat. Run." Saff whispered, eyes fluttering open, she held her head, groaning.

"No. I won't leave you."

"They don't want me, they want you. You have to run."

"No. They'll kill you."

"I'd die for you, Luna."

"I appreciate the sentiment, my friend. But that will not happen today."

The footsteps got louder, the wolves took their sweet time.

Kat closed her eyes and focussed on Cal.

"Ambush on road home. Hurry."

She didn't know if they were too far away, but she had to try. She heard no reply as a man's feet appeared next to her.

Thick arms wrapped around her as they dragged her from the car. She struggled desperately, realising that her leg was also broken.

Another man pulled Saff roughly from the wreckage.