》i. just business

( chapter one ! )- just business -

( chapter one ! )
- just business -

That terrible birthday incident changed Rebekah

That terrible birthday incident changed Rebekah. Her bubblegum pink personality turned into one of mauve and dark clouds. In order to distract herself, Rebekah managed to pour all of her energy into her studies. In the three years since her birthday party, she had a second PhD in bio-engineering from MIT. 

Richard knew that Rebekah had potential. After all, it was in her blood. He enrolled in college when he was fourteen, and at that time, his father Nathaniel was being told that his five-year-old granddaughter was too advanced for kindergarten. Since then, Richard knew that he would have to take his niece under his wing at some point. 

He did exactly that after her twenty-first birthday. Inside Reed's mind was an idea, and he needed Rebekah to help him sort out the kinks. They both needed the project as a distraction. For Rebekah, it was from the person she refuses to speak about, and Reed from a devastating break-up with Sue. Things didn't go well, and after a wounding rejection from one institution, Reed made the tough call to approach his last resort to propose their study.

It was totally against Rebekah's wishes, of course. He asked for her advice, and yet he ignored it. Needless to say, it annoyed Rebekah immensely. So, with pursed lips and arms crossed, she approached Von Doom Industries with Reed and his best friend Ben Grimm. Rebekah placed a hand over her eyes to block out the sun as she stared up at the large statue being built in front of the building. From her left, Ben let out a scoff.

"Typical of Victor Von Doom to build a thirty-foot statue of himself," Ben said as the three of them curiously examined a large bust of Victor's head made from dark metal.

As usual, Reed tried to see things from a different view. "Well, it's obviously aimed at first-time visitors to create feelings of smallness, inadequacy."

"Good thing it ain't workin'," he said with a hint of doubt, looking his friend up and down.

The three of them began the agonizing trek towards the entrance, and Ben finally let his anxiety show. "Reed, what are we doing here? This guy's fast-food, strip-mall science."