The Kissing Booth

One-Shot: The Kissing Booth

Adam

‘Hey, Adam,’ Natasha grabbed my arm as Nathan and I tried to navigate the swollen throng of people in the school hallway. It was the period just before lunch and we had Mr Halloway for maths; he was not above giving out lunchtime detentions to anyone who was late. ‘I need to ask you something.’

                ‘Can it wait?’ I asked urgently, trying to pull away from her even though the mass of people was making it pretty difficult to move at all.

                ‘It won’t take long.’ Natasha is a pretty cool chick, I guess, but she can turn into a political warrior when she’s on a mission for one of her “causes” – of which she has many. Save The Rainforests, Save The Icecaps... Save The World, basically. ‘You know I’m organising that event for victims in Syria?’ Her pop-charity of the week.

                ‘Uh,’ I said. ‘Sure.’ Beside me I could see Nate shaking his head and rolling his eyes – neither of us had any idea about her latest assignment, but I could play along for peace’s sake.

                ‘Well we decided to do a kissing booth, and I need you to volunteer.’

                ‘Um,’ I mumbled, turning pink. ‘Volunteer?’

                ‘A euphemism,’ Natasha quipped, before clutching my arm tighter and begging, ‘Please? You’re like, the most sought-after guy in school and this needs to be successful. It’s not like you’ll have to do anything you don’t want to do, or anything. You don’t have to marry them. Just a quick kiss on the lips, no more, no less.’

                ‘Uh... Well, who else is doing it?’ I asked nervously. This sounded like exactly the kind of activity that could get me in trouble.

                ‘Some of the other guys on the basketball team, and a bunch of girls too. Six of us in all.’ She nodded encouragingly at me, widening her eyes like the fate of the world teetered on my decision to be her male prostitute.

                ‘What about me?’ Nate demanded suddenly, crossing his arms and tilting his head nonchalantly to the side. ‘I could do it.’

                ‘Oh,’ Natasha burned red, her eyes darting around as she tried to locate the words to explain why he couldn’t. ‘Oh, that’s really generous Nathan, thank you, it’s just, well, you know, girls, they won’t want to... Well, it’s the guys, they’ll be coming for... Um...’ she trailed off desperately, suddenly in a rush to get to her own class.

                I stepped forward to come between Natasha and Nathan and smiled down at her, trying to keep the peace. ‘Sure,’ I said, knowing I’d probably regret it. ‘I’d be happy to.’

                ‘Really?’ She looked relieved. ‘Thank you so much, Adam! I’ll text you with the details!’ she called, disappearing into the now-thinning crowd.

                ‘Why do you do that?’ I demanded grumpily as Nate and I made our way to Mr Halloway’s classroom.

                ‘Do what?’ Nate asked innocently, like he was some sort of choirboy.

                I scowled. ‘You know what. Making people uncomfortable about your sexuality.’

                ‘I really would have done it if she’d wanted me to,’ Nate said nonchalantly.