*31*

My overly disappointed reaction is a little too obvious when I realise Harry and I aren't sitting at the same table, his arrogant, "Oh baby, will you miss me?" chiming in as he catches me pouting.

I don't know why I assumed we would be together, I guess I'm getting used to having him around all of the time.

Looking over at where is he sitting, I notice that he is at one of the most important tables at the gala, the most affluent and influential people in the property industry are surrounding him and he is laughing and joking along side them with ease.

The sinking feeling in my gut returns when I wonder if he obtained a spot on that table through my father, taking his place as he couldn't attend himself, something he would never do for me, never trusting me with the responsibility of upholding his reputation at such an important event. 

Throughout the first course we listen to various speakers, some notable names from the industry and others from the charity the night is raising money for.

I've finished my meal when I see Harry rise from his seat but I'm stuck in a brain numbingly boring conversation with an older gentleman who is droning on about some sort of policy change in land subdivision out in the countryside that I have absolutely no interest in.

"Sorry for the interruption," Harry's voice is like music to my ears. "Do you mind if I steal my girl for a moment," he charms, probably clearly still in character as 'my boyfriend' in case Adam hears.

"You're a fucking lifesaver," I joke as we hit the stairs to make our way outside for a smoke break and am rewarded by his hearty chuckle I love so much.

"At your service, AP," he kids back and uncharacteristically pokes his tongue out to which I overreact with a playful gasp.

I'm distracted as he dangles a cigarette from his perfect pink lips, always naturally pouted and the most enticing shade of pink, his cupids bow pronounced and begging to be kissed.

He lights mine before his, his body close and a hand cupped around the tip so it's protected from the cool evening breeze.

I inhale and the sweet burn dulls the cravings I can't seem to ever shake but wish I could.

"He's still in love with you, you know?" he says as he puffs out a cloud of smoke, running his free hand through his coifed curls.

His eyes are fixated on me, maybe judging my reaction to see how broken I really am.

"He was never in love with me, Harry," I tell him shaking my head. "He loved what he could gain by being with me."

"He said that?" he questions, his brow furrowed in concentration.

"He made it pretty clear," I hold the cigarette to my lips and suck in another breath, not really wanting to talk about Adam anymore but Harry seems persistent. "He wanted a relationship of convenience, not love," I deicide to divulge.

Silence falls upon us as we ash our cigarettes, the paper singeing downward and I wish they were longer so we had more time alone.

"Do you still question that that's why I'm friends with you? For what I could gain?" he asks seriously and my heart jumps in my chest, not only the thought of this entire bond being fake and deliberate but the word 'friends' cuts through me like a hot blade to the heart.

I push down the sharp pain with my hand, "I hope not, I've dealt with enough betrayal."

Something flashes across his eyes that I can't read but our gazes are locked on each other, his stare intense and I can almost see his mind racing. 

He puckers his lips pensively and chews on the inside corner of his mouth before butting out his cigarette with the heel of his boot.

His face relaxes, the smile I dream about graces his face and he drapes an arm over my shoulders.

"Ready to go make that ex of yours jealous?" he teases, sounding more excited at the prospect than I am.

As we weave back through the crowd that is mingling between service of meals, I lose Harry to someone stopping to talk to him.

I'm standing alone when Adam approaches me and I'm not able to think of a quick enough excuse to walk away and without anyone close enough to pretend to be talking to.

"Lexi," he addresses me casually as he stands too close.

"What do you want, Adam?" I snap, losing patience and my nerve.

"I've been meaning to call you," his voice is soft, almost causing me to have to lean in to hear if I cared enough to comprehend what he is saying.

"Oh yeah? How's your wife and baby?" I ask coldly.

"The baby is good, just turned one and she's not my wife," he fidgets with the band on his watch. "We, uh, split up actually."

"Really? Shame," I state without emotion and try desperately to spot where Harry is in the crowd of people around me.

"I've been thinking about you a lot lately," he pushes, trying to touch my hand but I pull it away.

"Yeah? Thinking about how you cheated on me? Used me for four years? Humiliated me? Or something different?" I retort, crossing my arms to keep them out of his reach, my eyes never falling on him, instead trying to locate the curly brown hair I can use as a decoy.

"I can't believe you're dating Ha-" Adam starts but is cut off by Harry literally sliding towards me, his voice loud and borderline obnoxious.

"There you are, darling!" he exclaims, completely ignoring Adam as his arms wrap around my waist.

It all moves too quickly for me to process. 

My senses don't register fast enough that he is leaning forward and before I realise what's happening Harry lips are crashing into mine.

His kiss is so powerful that my spine arches backwards and he dips me slightly, effortlessly, incredibly dramatically.

Deep down I understand that this is entirely for show, as he rights our stance and pulls away, his sparkling eyes are all the evidence that I need, his smirk firmly in place on his gorgeous face.

Harry's glossy tongue juts out to coat his glistening lips, almost as if he is trying to savour the taste, his dimple popping in his cheek.

Although I know it didn't mean what I wish it did, my heart still explodes and my breath is lost at the whirlwind of the last seven-seconds.

My mind is grappling with trying to stay straight faced in front of Adam and simultaneously trying to lock the fleeting memory of his lips on mine into a vault for eternity, the feeling already fading and I'm left wondering if it even really happened.

His arms are still around me, my hands resting on his biceps and I have the urge to bend my knee and raise my foot off the ground to really solidify my delusional cinderella moment.

Adam clears his throat, attempting to snap Harry and me out of our inappropriately placed distraction.

Harry runs a hand through his hair that was thrown out of place from his theatrical display and I begrudgingly pull away and smooth down my dress.

My awkwardness is saved by the bell and before anyone can speak there is a call over the microphone to be seated for main course.

A/N:

ok SOOOO much just happened we have so much to discuss!

1. what do we think about Harry and Lexi's little chat outside?

2. Adam, ew.

3. THE MF KISS!!

4. The wonderful chanmapan invited me to write a story for her amazing Harry One Shot book that is UP NOW so make sure you check it out!

Thanks for reading my loves, please remember to vote!

Love Ruby
X