1.10

"Why don't you two head off first?" Xiao Yi suggested to his sister, who had been, for the past few minutes, been supporting the still semi-lucid Gao Xi. 

"I will call Gao Xi's driver to take my brother home." Gao Shen followed up. "It would be good if you could accompany him on the way to his house - once he's safe, I'll instruct the driver to take you home as well."

"And I'll let our driver know he doesn't need to wait around for you," Xiao Yi finished off. "You should go, we can handle things here, alright?"

Their purpose was to get their siblings away from the drama, for now, and to deepen the bond between them through close contact. If they were truly compatible, then they would be able to overcome a small hurdle like this.

Feng Mei nodded, and Gao Xi, cradling his forehead in his palms, followed her out the door. 

In this time, the shouting match between Li Shu and Gao Lou had reached its peak - Li Shu had death in her eyes and her clenched fists were shaking. At some point, Gao Lou must have said something that drove her patience to a breaking point, and with a resounding slap she stormed out of the room.

Gao Lou was left speechless, his cheeks burning red. He stood frozen in shock, before regaining his composure. As he turned towards the exit, his eyes swiveled past Gao Xi and Xiao Yi, who he had forgotten existed, and who had been watching the two fight, unable to get a word in.

Finally recalling his own position, Gao Lou reluctantly pushed the matter of Li Shu to the side, but his body was still tense. "Wheres that brother of yours?"

"He went home with my sister," Xiao Yi answered instead.

"Your sister? And who are yo- oh, you're that Feng boy, aren't you? Why is Gao Xi with your people?"

"As my sister tells me, they were on a date."

"A date? That useless boy, even if that woman turned out to be like that, she was his fiance-"

"From an engagement you forced him into. He'd been seeing my sister before she even met Li Shu." Xiao Yi said, crossing his arms defensively. 

Gao Shen rested a hand on his shoulder. "Father, if you recall, I sent evidence regarding Miss Shu's involvement with the drug trafficking scene. Surely now you must believe it."

Gao Lou seemed to want to argue, but in the end, merely grunted in acknowledgement.

"Li Shu had also targeted my sister with the same drug," Xiao Yi said in a comforting voice. "Gao Xi had saved her then, and its good that Li Shu was able to be stopped this time as well. It seems like our family's youngest are quite fortunate."

Gao Lou laughed, but it wasn't pleasant. "What are you trying to say?"

"Fate seems to want them together. And, since they are compatible, if the two are willing, they could be engaged instead? Clearly an arranged marriage like with Li Shu didn't work. If you were desperate enough to have Gao Xi engaged to Li Shu who you'd only known for a day, just to secure his position in the company, I'm certain he'd rather marry my sister than a stranger. An alliance with the Feng family isn't too bad either." 

Though he tried outwardly not to look it, Xiao Yi was nervous giving out his speech. He'd only known the insider information about Li Shu's position in the company from Gao Shen, and he'd spent most of yesterday preparing himself for this moment.

If Gao Lou took the bait, then surely he'd be well on his way to finishing his mission.

"Hmph." After all that, all Xiao Yi got in return was a snort. 

"You should consider his proposal, Father." Gao Shen finally spoke up. "The Feng patriarch will be returning from an overseas business trip soon. You already planned the engagement party for Gao Xi - but you haven't yet revealed just who he'd be marrying. Now, an opportunity has presented itself. I suggest you take it."

-

"Somehow, that was really stressful." Xiao Yi said with a sigh, as he flopped into the passenger seat of Gao Shen's car. Gao Shen leaned over him and with nimble hands secured Xiao Yi's seat belt, before doing his own.

"Did you doubt me?" Gao Shen asked, and with his face still so close to Xiao Yi's, the twinkle in his eyes told him all he needed.

"I should be asking you that," Xiao Yi teased back. The past few days with Gao Shen had them both grow closer together - they could even be called friends.

Gao Shen had been Xiao Yi's first friend, and surprisingly, the same was true of the other man. Gao Shen had, before they met, lived depending mostly on himself, and had never the time nor desire to have relationships outside of work.

"I'll drop you home. We can talk again tomorrow." For once, Gao Shen was the one on the wheel. Usually, they had a chauffeur, but Gao Shen apparently had a fondness for driving.

Xiao Yi simply nodded, and with the events of the day finally catching up to him, it wasn't long before he fell asleep.

-

Feng Yi's eyes were still closed. 

They were parked in front of the Feng household, and in the nighttime, far away from the world, everything was silent.

Gao Shen didn't often hesitate, but he did, now. He looked at Feng Yi's face, and noted how still the young man looked in his sleep. Gao Shen raised a hand and brought it to Feng Yi's lips - not touching, but hovering just in front. Unconsciously, Gao Shen's eyes began moving downwards, to where Feng Yi's chest steadily rose and fell in sync with his breathing. 

Then he turned away, and said to himself, in a soft whisper: "Feng Yi, will you look this peaceful when you leave me, too?"

Then he turned away, and after settling himself, gently shook the young man awake.

"We're here."

.

.

.

an. thought i'd post this early. still have quite a few chapters to do. hope you liked this one guys! if it wasn't obvious, the last bit is in GS's perspective. if you have the time tell me what you think because reading comments motivates me to write :)