Chapter 61

Previously

"You've got a lot to learn about us yet, Little A." Jake smiles mischievously

"I don't think I want to find out." I mumble

"Oh, I know you don't want to." Mason smirks as he kisses me on my cheek.

Now

"Today is the trial, one of our journalists, Simon, is at the scene, let's switch over to him now."

"Hi Marian, as you can see I am standing in front of the courthouse where the trial of Caleb Williams and Mark Davidson will take place in less than an hour. It's a closed trial, we won't be able to go in, but outside it's crowded with journalists who want to speak to the victim, Alexia Smith. Since what happened to her became news all over the country, she hasn't spoken to any journalist or news channel about her kidnapping."

"Do we know who's representing her during the trial?"

"Her lawyer is the father of Connor Simmons, one of her best friends who recently passed away. Mr. Simmons is one of the most respected lawyers in the country and there's no doubt that he will do whatever he can for Alexia."

"Oh, there she is actually. Alexia, would you mind answering some questions for the news?"

"Alexia, why did you wait this long to sue Caleb?"

"Why didn't you tell your mom about what was happening? Why did you run away from home? How did Connor die? Wasn't he protecting you when he died? Do you blame yourself for his death?"

"Alexia, Alexia!"

---------------------------------------------------

I sigh deeply when I set foot into the big building with Derek. Those stupid journalists with all their questions.

"Well done Alex, those journalists don't know what they're talking about." Derek says

I look at him and nod my head while taking deep breaths.

"I know it's their job, but they gotta stop sticking their noses in people's businesses."

"Hello, I'm Cara Cornwell. I'll be escorting you to the courtroom and explain how it's going to go. I'm sure Mr. Simmons has told you a bit about it already."

I nod and quietly follow her down the hall. Halfway there, I spot my friends, mom and Jayden. Jayden quickly walks over to me, looking like he has some very important news to share.

"What is it, Jay?"

"Before you look behind me, I wanted to tell you that dad is here."

A shockwave moves through my body. My father actually came here to support me? After what he's done to mom again, he dares to show up here and act like the hero father?

"What do you mean he's here? Did he come to support me? After all he's done?"

"He came here as support yeah, but not for you."

My eyes widen as I realise what he's saying. A small hint of disappointment stings in my heart, but I quickly shake it off.

"He came to support Mark and Caleb. He's also the one who told the news about everything, that's why they know."

The pained look on Jayden's face tells me enough. How dare he? How dare he show up after everything that happened and then support the person who has hurt me more than anything else?! How dare he use me like that to get some money?

I step around Jayden and spot my father.

"Don't Alex, he's not worth it."

I give Jayden a death stare, before I slowly walk to my father. I force myself to look calm, that he doesn't get to me, that I won't let him do this to me once again.