Chapter One Hundred And Fifty Four - We Meet Again

O'vel-win returned home with all of the twelve children and H'lua-win without much thought about his new acquaintance, apart from the passing thought that he was easy to talk to and seemed non-judgemental. Eleven children returned to their parents and H'lua-win returned to the home area of her branch of the family, while O'vel-win carried his chatterbox cousin to their rooms.

"Ch'mai-tul only attends school once a month, but she is so smart already. G'lin-win said her penmanship is ugly, but he's just jealous. The teacher praised her writing last month, but never praises his, just says he needs to work harder... oh and Y'tai-cat spilled ink on his trousers and then blamed H'nan-win, so I stuck up for my cousin and told Y'tai-cat that it is not good to lie..."

O'vel-win nodded and made noises of agreement in all of the correct places as the boy clung to his back.

The following day, he returned to work. The small group of technicians made much progress on the Machine and test results performed looked promising. The technician's returned home, purses healthier and with satisfied smiles. The mood lasted for O'vel-win right until the point that he reached the doors to the living spaces of his immediate family.

"Why is your son insisting on rejecting my daughter, S'vel-hen? You know he won't find a girl as good as mine elsewhere." 'Aunty' D'lua-ning was wed to his grandfather's cousin's second son and was the doting mother of H'lua-win.

"D'lua-ning," he heard the voice of his mother attempt to reason. "We cannot change what is in the hearts of our children, nor should we. My son cannot see H'lua-win as a wife. It is a shame, but it is what it is." He understood that his mother was saying this to be diplomatic. Although she did not mind the girl, she didn't have much time for the mother.

"He is too fussy," the woman continued to rant. "My daughter would make him a wonderful wife. He should be thankful that any girl have an interest considering."

"Oh and what is that supposed to mean?"

D'lua-ning did not hear the warning undertone of his mother's words. "Why his foolish job of course. I understand that it was difficult for you, finding him an apprenticeship that would make a better man of him. You were probably grateful so you accepted his placement. With a wife and children to think of he would definitely reconsider his life choices. H'lua-win would steer him onto a better path. Is that not better for you as well, S'vel-hen? It must be embarrassing to admit that your son works with the people that created that abomination after all."

"D'lua-ning," his mother said, sternly. "I believe that we are done here and I wish for you to leave."

"Well, I never!" The woman became indignant, as if she was the one to be wronged despite her unpleasant words spoken in a household not her own. "You will regret this, S'vel-hen, mark my words."

O'vel-win stood discreetly to one side as the woman stormed past him without a word of greeting and headed back towards her own part of the mountain. He waited a few breaths before entering his home, where his mother was looking angry and flustered. "The cheek of that woman, so rude," she muttered as she cleaned up all clues that her distant cousin's wife had graced her abode.

"Hello, mother," O'vel-win greeted. "I am home."

"Welcome home, sweetheart," his mother smiled, but it was clearly strained.

He looked downcast as he approached her. "Is it my fault?" He asked softly.

"No, no," his mother sighed. "You had every right to turn her down, but those women refuse to take no for an answer. Trust me, no good will come from any bad words she might have about you. All of the family would agree to your right of choice."