What an asshole

[Sad songs at the ready]

I checked on the sleeping girls one last time before heading back downstairs to the living room with my phone clutched in my hand so tightly my knuckles turned white.

"C'mon Carter. Woman up." I grumbled to myself.

I threw back the last of my wine before finally clicking on the contact and calling him. I knew Tom would pick up, this was the time we'd agreed to call because of timezones and scheduling.

"Hello, darling!" Tom sang happily after two rings. "You hadn't FaceTimed in a few days, I was starting to forget your beautiful face." He laughed.

"Tom-"

"I'm kidding, I could never forget your face. I love it too much." He smiled, probably running a hand through his tousled curly hair.

"Babe, I need to talk to you." I breathed, pacing the length of room.

"What's wrong? The girls okay?" He rushed, I could hear the panic in his voice and I knew exactly what expression he had on his face.

"The girls are perfect, don't worry." I paused for minute, not knowing what to say.

"Well, then, are you okay?"

"Not really." I sighed. "Hayden kissed me." I said quickly, wanting to get it out in the open before the secret ate me up inside anymore.

"I'm sorry what? When?" I hated to hear the shock and pain in his voice.

"Sebastian took the girls out for the afternoon and told me to meet up with friends. I wanted to have the whole cast over for lunch but everyone else was busy or not in the sate. Hayden came over, we had lunch, then he started saying weird shit like I must be lonely and before I could blink he was kissing me."

I could hear Tom's heavy breathing through the phone. He didn't reply so I took it as a sign to keep talking.

"I didn't kiss him back, obviously, I pulled away and slapped him across his stupid face."

That got him to laugh.

"I would never do anything to hurt you, ever. You know that right?" I asked, lightly tugging at my roots out of stress. He didn't reply and the silence was starting to get to me.

"Tom? Say something." It was barely a whisper.

"It's just a shock is all." Tom said after clearing his throat. I could picture him rubbing his eyes with the palms of his hands.

"Right, but we're all good, aren't we?" I asked, stopping my pacing for a second.

"Well, Yeah. I just don't know how you let him kiss you. Surely you could've seen him getting closer to you." Tom said, trying to hide the hint of annoyance.

"Are you serious right now, Tom?" I scoffed.

"Why are you getting mad at me, all of a sudden?" He said defensively. "Look, I'm sorry, that was out of line." I hear his loud exhale.

"Yeah, Damn right it was." I huffed. "I forgive you and everything, but I'll speak to you tomorrow." I hung up the phone and let out groan of frustration.