{15} A MEAL WITH MY ENEMY AND HIS FAMILY {15}

Sunday, 4-29-18

I was excited and nervous and feeling all of the things.

Maybe I wasn't as manly as I thought.

Annabeth and her family were arriving in less than twenty minutes, and I was pumped. I really wanted to have a good, hearty conversation with her. I missed her. She had been busy most of the week, off doing something she didn't bother to share with me. I was curious about that too, but I decided I wouldn't press her too much.

I dressed in plain black skinny jeans and a white tee shirt with a black Nike swoosh on it. I didn't even touch my hair, knowing that Annabeth would have her say on it no matter what. I put on a pair of blue socks with fish on them to complete my attire and wandered to the kitchen to assist my mom.

I had forgiven her for practically mortifying me Friday night. To be honest, she didn't even do anything wrong. I was just acting like a sensitive little boy.

"Hey, Percy. You look nice."

"Thanks, Mom. You too."

She was dressed in a pair of medium wash jeans and a nice blue blouse that brought out her eyes.

"Thank you, sweetie."

"Need any help?" I asked.

"Could you toss the salad for me?"

I nodded and set to work.

I quickly finished my assignment and plopped on the couch, suddenly anxious. Not only was Annabeth coming, but also her family. Many of her family members disliked me. Ahem, Malcolm. I wasn't really sure why, although I did recall one instance where I was definitely not so pleasant with Annabeth's older half brother.

I had just gotten out of my final class of the day, my final class of the school year. I rushed out of the class and down the hall to my locker. It was eighth grade, the last year of middle school, which meant we still had those measly lockers, and not the big lockers that high schoolers got.

I finished cleaning my locker out and stuffed everything into my backpack. I shut the door and turned to search for my best friend, Annabeth.

I didn't have to search for long. She had just burst out of the girls bathroom in the eighth grade wing, and she didn't look happy.

I ran over to her.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I'm sure it's fine," she said in a small voice.

"No, what is it? Tell me, please."

Instead of answering in, she did something that really surprised me. She blinked back tears and put out her arms.

I stepped forward and hugged her. Butterflies started turning my stomach into a mosh pit

"Hey, it's...it's okay." I patted her back.

I was aware of everything in the wing. I felt like I could read the posters all the way at the end of the hall. Annabeth's hair smelt like lemon soap. She was shivering.

"He might be right," she muttered. "I'm disobeying everything I've been taught. But I don't know what else to do. I need you. It just feels right."

"Who?" I managed. "Who is he?"

"My brother. He thinks I need to stay away from...all of you people."

Behind me, somebody cleared his throat.

It was Annabeth's half brother, Malcolm. The guy we were just talking about, I couldn't help but notice. His face was bright red. "Um, sorry," he said. "Your dad said to come find you."