CHAPTER TWO

Jeon Jungkook was never a morning person

Jeon Jungkook was never a morning person. He liked staying up late and sleeping in until noon. He found comfort in having an internal debate between eating breakfast or lunch when he finally emerged from his room in the morning and always deciding on breakfast because let's face it, breakfast food reigned supreme.

He wasn't a morning person until he started going to Midtown.

He enjoyed learning and getting an education and he would be a liar if he ever said he wasn't smart. He knew he was intelligent, sitting along with some of the smartest people he knew. He excelled in math and science, and had never got a grade below an A+ in his life. School was a breeze for him and it had never been a challenge. But, going to Midtown gave him the challenge he craved.

The students who were enrolled at Midtown were some of the brightest students in the country, and Jungkook enjoyed using them as motivation to do better with each assignment and exam. The day he and his best friend Min Yoongi were accepted into the school was one of the best days of Jungkook's life. He would not only get to spend more time with his friend, but he would be able to learn about everything he wanted to learn.

Despite Midtown focusing on math, science and technology, it was still the same social hierachy wise. He and Yoongi remained at the bottom of the social scale for reasons unknown to him, but he really didn't care. Fitting in wasn't something that concerned him, he had his small friend group and that's all he needed. He knew he would be moving onto bigger and better things than 95% of the people who never talked to him anyway.

Getting into Midtown was the first turning point in Jungkook's future. The second was being bitten by a radioactive spider.

The entire situation still remained fuzzy in his memory. He didn't quite remember the events leading up to that moment, except for being at home and feeling a sharp pinch on the back of his neck before his entire body felt like it was burning from the inside out. The pain subsided after a while, and he was grateful he had been home when it happened. He had considered calling paramedics because that was the logical thing to do, but he felt different. A good different.

His sense had heightened and everything seemed to be magnified. It took a while to get used to, but it became like second nature to him within a week. He could shoot webs out of his wrists, and his strength, agility and speed were enhanced. Any normal person would have probably been terrified, but Jungkook was elated.

As someone who always read comics and loved superheroes, this was like a dream come true.

He felt powerful and in control for the first time in his life. He could do things normal people couldn't. He felt special. He could use the power he had to help people in situations where they couldn't help themselves. He could finally be the hero he had always read about.

Jungkook put together a homemade costume which admittedly was pretty ugly. He barely took himself seriously while wearing it, but it was what he had. His afternoons after school became his time to test out his powers and their limits and to stop small crimes like stolen handbags and car theft attempts. There were very few moments where something big happened, but he was ready for when it did.

His small victories had made him noticed by Kim Namjoon, a well known billionaire and leader in technologic advancement. He had provided him with a suit that was better equipped for what he needed, and one that looked much better than his homemade one. Jungkook had called his and Namjoon's connection an internship since it kept his identity a secret and gave him an alibi for never being available after school. As long as he left time for homework, he could continue going out daily.

The only thing he felt guilty about was neglecting his time with Yoongi. He had been extremely patient with his absence and never asked questions about the internship. He wanted to tell him the truth so badly, but he was afraid it would put him in danger. If him being suspicious of his whereabouts meant he was safe, he could live with it. Losing him wasn't an option.

Yoongi was stubborn and hot-headed and intelligent and breathtaking. He could make a longer list, but it would take too long. Jungkook knew his feelings for Yoongi were spilling into restricted territory and he was trying to distance himself away from that. His powers gave him that distance, but he knew if he grew too far away, he would more than likely get scolded by him for being an idiot. He always seemed to know what was best for him and he needed that in his life.

He thought he had his life figured out, but in reality he had no clue what he was doing half the time.

All he knew for now was that Yoongi was the best thing in his life, he had powers from a radioactive spider that he used to help people and he had a lab report due on Wednesday. He was trying his best, and trying was the only option he really had.

He just had to balance out passing classes with a 4.0 GPA, keeping his superhero identity a secret and spending as much time with Yoongi as possible without developing more feelings than he already had. Which would prove to be more difficult than he would have expected.