~The Pendant~

(T.M.R July 22nd, 1944)

    The news had spread quickly throughout the small village of Little Hangleton of the burning and death of Morfin Gaunt. I had seen the angry flames rising from my new bedroom window at Riddle Manor yesterday morning, but gave no thought to my deranged Uncle, that is until it became public that Morfin's neck had been snapped before the fire. The officials had released a statement stating that Morfin's death was likely a premeditated murder this morning in the newspaper, causing a strike of fear to flash through my veins as I quickly wrote letters to my friends, Albus and Vienna. I knew that Albus had performed a blood ward around the house the day I was officially adopted out of Wool's and moved in with my father and grandparents, but I couldn't be too careful, considering Edgar Longbottom had already paid us a visit. It was dinner time now, I hadn't heard back from any of them and I was beginning to grow restless. I hated being left in the dark. We were halfway through dinner when arguing voices filtered in through the open window as I was trying to explain Hogwarts to my father and grandparents. My father gave me a questioning look as I stood when a resounding knock echoed throughout the house from the front door. I could hear Maria greet someone as she answered the door as the arguing got louder with the visitor's entrance into the house. "Stay here, I'll see who it is." My father looks like he wants to protest against my words but decides against it and nods his head. I grip my wand in my pocket as I make my way to the foyer, the arguing voices growing louder as I walk but I nearly sigh in relief at the sound of Vienna's voice.
     "I don't care. He needs to be able to protect himself." I walk into the foyer and my eyes widen at the group of people. Abraxas and Olivia were standing near the door, both looking confused and concerned. Longbottom was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and his eyes narrowed on the two people arguing in the middle. "It's a bad idea and you know it." Albus was speaking firmly to an exhausted looking Vienna. "It would have been in the past but now it's not." Vienna's hair is tied haphazardly onto the top of her head, her violet eyes are bloodshot and there are dark circles beneath them. "What's going on?" My voice causes Vienna to jump slightly before she spins to look at me, her hands resting on her hips in pure agitation. "What did I tell you about scaring me?" I shrug my shoulders and she huffs before waving a hand towards the Professor. "Albus is being difficult." Albus scoffs at her words, his own arms crossing across his chest as he looks disapprovingly at Vienna. "I am not being difficult, I'm being smart." Vienna rolls her eyes before looking at Longbottom. "Nev, tell him that I'm right." Longbottom shakes his head and pushes off the wall to walk towards Vienna. "Vienna, -" her eyes narrow at him as he finishes, "- Albus is right. It's not a good idea." She shakes her head and spins on her heel, a hand running down her tired face as she comes to stand next to me. "What's not a good idea?" Albus sighs deeply sharing a look with Longbottom before he answers my question. "Vienna wants to give you the Elder Wand." My mouth drops open in shock before I find myself narrowing my own eyes at the two. "And why would it be a bad idea?" Longbottom puts out a hand as a sign of peace before he answers. "The Elder Wand is powerful. It will only put you in more danger. Edgar wants it remember?" Beside me, Vienna scoffs as she begins pacing around the foyer. "He needs a way to protect himself with the trace still on him. He can't do that with his own wand!" She throws her hands up in agitation with her words. "If Edgar manages to get through the blood wards Toms life will be in danger. You two, -" she points a finger at Abraxas and Olivia, the latter looking thoroughly concerned, "- can protect yourselves, you're both seventeen. Tom won't be seventeen until December."
    By now my father and my grandparents had made their way into the foyer, all three looking confused and alarmed. "Vienna, we're only a little over a month away from going back to school. Tom will be safe there you know this." Vienna snorts, the air beginning to shimmer around her as her eyes begin to flicker colors. "I think it's safe to assume that there's a spy in Hogwarts Albus." Albus looks momentarily baffled at her words as Olivia finally speaks up. "At least Tom can use magic at school Vienna. He can protect himself there." Vienna shakes her head, causing strands of white hair to fall from its tie. "Olivia's right. If I'm at school I can protect myself." Her pacing halts as she looks at me, her eyes wide and her chest heaving. "I know that Tom. What I'm trying to say though, is that you can't protect yourself here." I sigh at her words, her eyes narrowing again as I take a step toward her. "Yes, I understand that. We -" I wave a hand around the room, "- understand that. Despite what you may think, there are other ways to protect myself." My words seem to fuel a spark in her as she seemingly loses control of her anger, her eyes solidifying to gold and her hair turning coal black. "There is no other way! I will not have you here in this house, unprotected while Edgar Longbottom is hanging around! If giving you the Elder Wand gives you a chance then I'm going to give it to you!" She takes up her pacing again, the air now cackling with magic around her as she pulls the rest of her hair from her tie and continues. "I will not allow anyone to take you away from me. I don't care what I have to do to ensure your safety, but by God's, you will be safe!"
    Olivia takes a cautious step towards Vienna, her hand outstretched and her blue eyes wide. "Vienna, calm down." Vienna spins around and gives her best friend a glare. "Don't tell me to calm down. You haven't seen war like I have Olivia." I watch as Olivia flinches before setting her face. "What has gotten into Vienna? Why are you acting like this? This isn't you!" Vienna let's out a near-deranged chuckle at her words as I give Albus a concerned look. "I'm not acting like anything! I'm trying to protect you, all of you! Is that such a bad thing?" She takes a deep breath and clenches her hands into tight fists. "Everything that I've done so far is to protect you all." Her golden eyes grow distant with her words as Albus takes in a loud breath. "Vienna what did you do?" He sounds exasperated like he couldn't believe his own thoughts as Vienna's eyes snap to his, her jaw set and breathing heavy. "I didn't do anything." My own confusion seems to be mirrored on the rest of the groups face-saving for Albus whose now practically glaring at Vienna. "You're lying. What have you done Vienna?" She shakes her head violently and swallows thickly, taking steps away from him toward the far wall. "She killed him." A new voice joins the group, causing all of us to jump and Vienna to turn around so quickly she nearly fell off balance. My mouth falls open in surprise as Sieffre strolls casually into the room from the study, his lips in a straight line and his eyes trained on my angry girlfriend. 
     "You have no business being here." Vienna's voice is strong and full of malice, her still golden eyes narrowed at what I thought, was a simple Muggle man. "Oh but I do. You are my concern Vienna." She snorts at his words, her eyes seemingly growing brighter as her magic flares dangerously around the room. "What is happening?" Olivia's voice is full of confusion as she looks between Sieffre and an angry Vienna. "What's happening Miss Matthews, is Vienna losing control of herself. She killed Morfin Gaunt." It's silent after his words, shock filling all of our faces as I look to a fuming Vienna whose eyes are still locked onto Sieffre's. "Vienna is that true? Did you kill my Uncle?" Her eyes flicker to mine, a flash of regret crosses her face before it's gone again her face turning blank. "I had to." Her eyes move back to Sieffre as I find myself being slightly horrified over the confession. "Why would you do that?" Albus asks the question, disbelief and confusion ringing through the air. "I already said I had too. Morfin Gaunt could have easily gotten through the blood wards. I shouldn't have to explain myself." Vienna's back is straight and her shoulders are set in defiance. "Vienna you murdered a man in cold blood!" She whirls around to face her horrified mentor. "Oh, get off your high horse, Albus! You didn't seem to have a problem with me murdering Gellert Grindelwald and all those people! What makes Morfin so different?" She spits the words at him, causing him to flinch and back away from her. "Vienna give me your pendant." The words were so sudden as Vienna turns around again, facing Sieffre, her hand clasping the now glowing pendant against her chest. "No. It's mine." Sieffre takes a step toward her, his own eyes shifting to the same brilliant gold as Vienna's and causing the faces around the room to drop in shock once again. "Vienna that pendant is fueling your feelings and your power. You need to give it to me." She shakes her head violently and let's go of the necklace. "This is the last thing I have of my father you can't have it. My power is my own. My feelings are my own. You cannot take these things away from me. Not now. Not ever." She lifts her arm to attack, her magic coiling to strike behind her and I find myself moving quickly without thinking.
    I grasp the scorching pendant hanging from around her neck and tug it over her head. I throw it across the room, my hand being singed in the process and catch Vienna in my arms as she falls to her knees nearly screaming. The pendant lands with a deafening thud down the hallway as Vienna takes in a deep shuddering breath. Her eyes return to her normal Violet and fill with tears as her hair shifts back to white. She lets out a violent sob and doubles over, her arms wrapped around her stomach against mine as if she's in terrible pain. I hold her to me, my hand running through her messy hair as I murmur soothing words into her ear. "It's alright Vienna. It's alright. You're safe now, it's alright." She continues to sob as Olivia walks over and sits on her knees in front of her, sending me a concerned look as she rubs Vienna's arm gently. It takes a few minutes for Vienna to quit sobbing loudly and she finally leans back into my arms, allowing me the chance to hold her better. I find myself looking towards Sieffre whose eyes have been watching the scene for the past few minutes. "Who are you?" He gives me a small smile, sends the group a quick wink and bows deeply before straightening himself again. "Call me Merlin."

"

***********************************************
Ooooooo, what's going to happen now?