Chapter 63

Eliza dashes after her friends, the shock of the icy wind outside cuts through her shock and confusion as her feet patter down the steps and she races to catch up with them as they walk down the line of carriages to find theirs. They reach Jasper's but before the door can be opened Eliza pushes past them and shields the door with her body, her hands on the handle.

"Someone is going to explain what just happened before ANYONE is getting in a carriage!" She says determinedly, looking at them individually.

"I think it was quite obvious what took place." Jasper says looking at his peers, "Lady Carrick insulted you and..."

"No!" Eliza holds her hand up and glares at him. "You know that's not what I mean!"

Jasper rolls his eyes but answers. "I invited James to this party."

"When? Why?" She cries looking from him to James and back again. "What happened to he will never be accepted by society?"

"Don't you want to see James and Cecily?" He asks with an amused smile.

"Of course I do," Eliza snaps, she turns to the couple, "I am delighted to see you both but I am at a loss at how you got here."

"By carriage, I presume," Jasper interjects sarcastically.

"Sush." She places a finger on his lips, he leans back.

"I was just answering your questions." He states defensively, Eliza turns to face him completely with a very annoyed look on her face.

"You, sush." She says firmly, she turns to James. "Could you explain?"

James looks towards Jasper but complies, "He wrote to us, a week or so back, inviting us down. That's it, that's why we are here."

Cecily nods in agreement.

"Did you know?" Eliza asks Charlotte and Thomas suspiciously, they shake their heads.

"Fine." Eliza takes a deep breath, she lets go of the carriage door and crosses over to James and Cecily, she hugs them both tightly.

"I cannot quite believe you are here." She says over their shoulders. "How are you both?"

"Very well miss," Cecily says,

"You aren't my maid anymore, you don't have to call me that," Eliza says with a wave of he hand as she releases them and shivers. "It's really cold."

"Here." Benjamin passes her her black fur cloak. "I was sensible and grabbed it on the way back."

"Thank you." She says wrapping into around her shoulders, the thick material protects her skin from the harsh bitter cold that hangs in the misty air.

"Jasper." James clears his throat, "Thank you for what you said in there, it means a lot."

"You are my best friend," Jasper says, "Nothing is going to change that."

"I think it is safe to say that this night is over." Benjamins sighs and looks up into the night sky. Charlotte yawns, her head droops onto her husband's shoulder.

"I think we shall return home," Thomas says brushing a blonde strand of hair away from her face. "Have a drink before bed."

"I like the sound of that." She says.

"And I." Benjamins says regretfully, "I expect my aunt shall still be up, she'll want to hear this new scandal before anyone else."

"We should return home too," James says to Cecily.

"Where are you staying?" Jasper asks as he buttons his coat up.

"My parents are letting us stay, they aren't as prejudiced as I thought." James replies with a wonky smile, "I am still disinherited but small steps"